Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber to use for outdoor gazebo?

Rebecca10
Finding My Feet

What timber to use for outdoor gazebo?

I’d like to build a basic gazebo frame to use as a cubby type thing, but I’m not sure what type of wood to use? I will most likely paint it if that makes a difference? 
it will only be about 1500m x 15000m approx.

F9E3604E-5419-4704-9D00-87B07C88377F.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What timber to use for outdoor gazebo?

Hello @Rebecca10 

Before you begin, I suggest going to your local council and finding out the rules and regulations regarding the size limitations of a timber gazebo. Do you need plans drawn up by a qualified draftsperson? Will the gazebo size you are planning require a permit? These are some of the questions you'll need to answer before you begin your project.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Poolside gazebo bar and lounge with pizza oven by @nathanh. From the discussion you'll get a good idea of the timber pieces that they used. What's important is that any timber that you decide to use must be rated for outdoor use. 

Once you have the necessary information, I suggest drawing up a simple plan with height, width and length. You can then show this plan to your draftsperson, and they can draw up a plan with the proper information regarding timber size and length.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your reply, I’m only wanting to make a small cubby house size for my daughters, but want the frame to just be four posts and a roof similar to the pic, prob haven’t explained my question very well sorry. 

Hi @Rebecca10,

The calibre of the timber required directly relates to the size of the structure and how far the timber needs to span. On this full-sized gazebo, they are using something similar to  120 x 120mm posts and 140 x 45mm timber for the roof structure. If you were constructing a smaller structure, you could potentially use 88 x 88mm H4-treated Pine posts and 90 x 45mm H3-treated Pine for the roof structure. However, as mentioned previously, it all comes down to the size of the structure. If you can provide more details on the size I can assist further.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects