Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do about this gate's wood rot?

Bluetooth
Having an Impact

What to do about this gate's wood rot?

20211212_100601.jpg

There is some wood rot at the bottom of this gate. Should I replace a piece of it or go with a whole new gate? Build from scratch or can U get a gate made to measure for a reasonable price?

Maybe there are some upgrades I could think about if I'm putting in a new on like mounting a wifi camera inside🙂

Re: What to do about this gate's wood rot?

Thanks for your suggestions Eric. The countersink drill bit looks perfect for the job. 👍

We have this rebated handrail that you could use @Bluetooth. Bit of a long length for your project, though. Are you going to paint the Merbau, or were you looking for some Merbau timber to construct the top rail out of as well? If you had a router, you could potentially cut a 19mm channel down the centre of a 42 x 28mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screening and use it as a capping piece.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Unfortunately I don't have a router.

Without a router, you could create a capping by joining three pieces of timber @Bluetooth. Likely only an option if you plan to paint the timber, though.

Mitchell

capping.png 

Yes, that looks brilliant. Thank you @MitchellMc 

I'll let you know how it goes!

20220327_210112.jpg

The project is coming along and I have got the tpckets primed and attached to the adjustable gate frame. The railing pieces are primed and ready to be attached.

20220327_210121.jpg

For the countersunk screws should I fill them with some kind of gap filler or Wood fill? Or just paint over them?

Looking great @Bluetooth

It depends on what level of finish you're going for. Since your gate is a bit of a feature and everyone will see it when entering the property, I'd take the time to fill the screw holes. You can use Poly 450g Exterior Timber Filler.

Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

20220402_132812.jpg

 First coat of paint after filling screw holes and sanding and priming.

20220403_082033.jpg

Finished project inside

20220403_082015.jpg

And outside .

I'm pleased with how it turned out. Thanked for all the help and support!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bluetooth

Thank you so much for posting those photo updates. Your gate has come out looking fantastic. It looks very sturdy and blends in so well with your fence. I'm glad we were able to help, I'm sure @MitchellMc and @HandyAndy will be pleased to see the results. I'm sure our members who are in the same situation will find your project very helpful. 

Again, thank you for sharing your gate rebuilding project.

Eric

HandyAndy
Building a Reputation

mate!!! looks awesome! well done!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects