Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wooden trolley cart

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Wooden trolley cart

Hey All.

This is actually a project I made a few years ago and sold when I moved to a flat at the time. But I thought I'd share it for some inspiration. My woodworking skills have gotten better since, so I'd recommend spending a bit more time thinking how the draws, etc fit into the unit so you don't end up with weird cuts like mine :cheeky:

The guy who bought it owned a coffee shop and was really happy because he said something like this would cost 1000's and weigh much more (I built it entirely out of wood), so hope that is a big carrot to making one of these yourself.

I used MGP10 framing timber for the structural and if I remember correctly, Acacia panels for the exterior. Now in terms of the MGP10, this would not be suitable for weather exposure (When I built this, I didn't know about treated pine vs MGP10). Also not sure how well the Acacia panels fair externally under rain, etc ( @MitchellMc perhaps you know if they can deal with weather?), but you could keep it in a roofed outdoor space. And use treated pine framing for longevity.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 10.39.33 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-18 at 10.39.38 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-18 at 10.39.44 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-18 at 10.39.51 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-18 at 10.39.56 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-18 at 10.40.02 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-18 at 10.40.09 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-18 at 10.40.17 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-18 at 10.40.25 am.png

Regards

Itai

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wooden trolley cart

That's a really interesting build, @Itai. What were you using it for before you sold it? It would make an ideal BBQ cart.

Those panels are fine for exterior use but need to be coated entirely (top, bottom and ends) with an exterior grade varnish. Since you painted the Pine, it would likely last for an extended period of time outside. As you mentioned, it might be best used in a sheltered environment, though.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Wooden trolley cart

Hey @MitchellMc 

I built it for a food business I had before as a serving trolley.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects