Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Workshop project

Kokonut
Finding My Feet

Workshop project

At the 'thinking' phase of this project and ready to absorb any tips that would help. I have an existing deck, sitting on a raised timber framework (about 300mm off the ground).

I'm thinking of hammering (or nail gunning) some frames together, but I'm still somewhat fascinated that what looks like matchsticks held together by nails and then fixed together would actually be structurally sound.

I guess my questions are:
1. Any Bunnings videos on the topic of making the frames?

2. What is the best timber to use?

3. Hammer or nail gun (what size nails)?

4. What is the distance between the upright timber?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Workshop project

Hello @Kokonut

Thanks for sharing your question about your decking project. One of the things you can do is to measure the size of the timbers used on your existing decking. This can serve as a guide when you attempt to build your own timber frame. Just be mindful of the size of the deck you're trying to copy. You can also do a very thorough examination of what kind of screws or nails were used to keep the frame together.

I highly recommend reading this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. This will give you an idea of what steps you need to take when planning your decking. Treated H3 timber framing is used on deck framing and if your using timber for your posts you'll need to use H4 for in-ground use. 

I suggest posting a picture of the deck you're planning to add to. This will let our members assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how you can link a new deck to it. If you need assistance in posting the pictures, please let me know.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Inspiring low-level deck builds.

Here is a link to a step-by-step guide: How to build a decking boardwalk by @Adam_W

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects