Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

low deck over concrete

Adrian876
Just Starting Out

low deck over concrete

What’s the best way to build a deck over concrete slab,  from the concrete to the top of the brick which I want the deck to finish flush is 85mm what’s the best was to set out joists and do you need bearers?

tiles Will be ripped ups

AFEBA077-A252-482A-AEC1-0D85AB1CACB1.jpeg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: low deck over concrete

Congratulations on making your first post to Bunnings Workshop @Adrian876 and welcome to the community.

Thanks for sharing a photo that makes it much easier for us to get an idea of the scale of the project. Are you able to supply the measurements so we can help with the specifics? @Adam_W has put together an article that covers how to get started building a low-level deck. You might also find it useful to have a look at how other community members have approached their decks:

Feel free to ask for more clarification. We're here to help. I'm sure that @redracer01 and @MitchellMc will be able to guide you through this project.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: low deck over concrete

Hi @Adrian876,

You don't really have much room to work with there. I'd suggest placing Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm joists on their 90mm face every 450mm across that area. If you raise them on plastic packers 21mm from the ground, you can then Dynabolt through them into the concrete. I'd suggest placing Dynabolts every meter along their length. You'll find the 21mm gap, 45mm joist and 19mm decking board work out to be 85mm high.

There is no need or room for traditional bearers in this scenario.

Please let me know if you have further questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects