Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

2BHK Wood Work with Space Saving Furniture

UmaB4u
Finding My Feet

2BHK Wood Work with Space Saving Furniture

Hi....i bought a 2bhk Unit....it's unfurnished. so i am thinking of doing wood work with Space Saving Furniture like wall bed, sofa come wall bed...for entire unit including kitchen

i want to create my own...i have few ideas in my Brain...couldn't able to draw in a paper...so, i want to learn how to do the planning/drawing the woodwork....

Hence i am here for ur Help/suggetions/Advise.....Thanks for ur Time

Thanks,

Amu

P.S-can't afford paying carpenter courseUnitPlan.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 2BHK Wood Work with Space Saving Furniture

Hello @UmaB4u,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and congratulations on your purchase. It must be an exciting time for you. We're rapt to have you join us and look forward to seeing how you can transform your unit. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative community members.

In relation to design software, you might like to check out these previous discussions:

Let me also encourage you to take a look at prolific Bunnings Workshop member @redracer01's posts. He uses SketchUp for his wonderful kitchen and bathroom designs that he shares with members.    

You might also like to hit the Start a discussion button and share one project at a time. I'm sure members would be happy to assist with their thoughts for each creation. If you search the site you'll also find some examples of murphy beds for example. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason,

thanks for suggesting Sketup...but, the problem is mine bit complicated.....as i said i am looking for the wood work with space save furniture...how to draw those in this app....i mean if i am not wrong this aap for normal...not like mie

i'll give u example...in the hall sofa sitting area need to convert a bedroom in the night if any guest come...in 2nd bedroom 3 adults...so it'll be sofa single wall bed...bunk bed need to fit.....in the master bedroom Couple with Kid need to fit......bathrooms like Flight Bathrooms...i mean in flights even though it's small Toilet it still has almost everything in the wall hide.....etc like these i want to draw......i know what i want IN My BRAIN....i mean i can here i want this...i want like that...when it comes to pen down....IM NOT ABLE TO DRAW :unhappy:

Could u plz help/suggest/advise me with this

PS.- I AM HAPPY TO PARTICIPATE IN WORKSHOP of the Home Planning/Wood Work/Kitch...etc

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @UmaB4u,

Are you planning on building all these custom space-saving furniture items yourself, or will you be purchasing them to install? If you build them yourself, you'll have to decide on the measurements and include them in your plan. If you are buying these units, you'll need to check with their suppliers about the size of the units and include those in your plans.

Most woodworking starts with a sketch on paper to establish some rough designs and sizing. I'd encourage you to pick up some graph paper and a ruler and begin putting your ideas down. Search Google for space-saving items and take your inspiration from there. You can also search our community to see what our members have included in their own builds. 

Once you have your idea on paper instead of in your head, you'll see how you can then place those items in your room. If you have questions you'd like to ask about the process, please feel free to let us know. You might even like to share the sketches of your ideas with us so we can provide feedback on them.

I look forward to hearing more about your project and assisting you with the details.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the Email...i am not planning to buy readymade....i want to plan...i am not good with tools(drills..etc) so, i'll hire contractor to do the job..

yes...i agree with u abt da idea on paper "instead of My head"...This is what i NEED u guys HELP/ADVISE/SUGGESTION...i mean...How to Start to draw??? bcz there are so many factors i need to consider before draw...especially the n the measurements...how much weight it can hold...which wood is better for shelf...which is good for bed...what kind of mechanism i need.... etc

Could u plz help me

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd suggest you break all these different ideas down and concentrate on one at a time @UmaB4u. For instance, let's start with a fold-out bed and work on that first.

You'll need to spend some time researching what's involved in constructing a Murphy bed. You should first find somewhere which can supply you with the mechanism to operate the bed. Pistons or torsion springs allow the bed to be easily lowered and raised.

The mattress is attached to the bed frame, and straps are used to hold it in position when the unit is folded away. The bedframe would be made from pine timber to ensure the weight is kept to a minimum. You'll also need to decide on the size of the mattress to be used. Once you have the mattress dimensions, you can start to plan a design around it. This will include the bed frame, recessed enclosure for it to fold into, and how you will attach the torsion springs to those.

Unless one of our helpful members has constructed one of these beds themselves and can provide you with details, I'd suggest you'll need to spend some time researching the answers. Googling How to make a murphy bed might be a good place to start.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects