Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

8 y old house water tight problem, recently purch..Major builder firm does not stand behind Gurantee

Pappy
Just Starting Out

8 y old house water tight problem, recently purch..Major builder firm does not stand behind Gurantee

Recently purchased a house /double garage, concrete brickwork on the southern boundary, showing water damage to inside gib lining, as yet not exposed to dry out. Yet to inspect in detail but could involve the neighbor soil level being a little too high, possibly lacking soakage drainage metal, perforated plastic drainage pipe etc. Neighbor seems happy to allow us to carry out remedy work. My main question is what sealant work would best be recommended to seal the colored concrete bricks, concrete foundation. Prefer a clear sealant method, since it shows on neighbors wall view, but realize that may not be possible. The garage gib wall was previously had cupboards in front. damage to gib found when repainting, effecting / giving a soft  gib up 600mm above concrete floor level.As said we still have to open up to dry out. Location is Mount Wellington, Auckland. The major building Company is not interested in backing their workmanship and 10 years build Guarantee it seems.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 8 y old house water tight problem, recently purch..Major builder firm does not stand behind Gura

That's very disappointing you're not getting any assistance from the building company @Pappy. I hope Workshop members will be able to give you some helpful advice.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. Many thanks for joining us. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: 8 y old house water tight problem, recently purch..Major builder firm does not stand behind Gura

Please forgive my ignorance about NZ @Pappy, but do you know if you have an obudsman or regulatory body to act on your behalf and ensure your warranty is enforced?

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Also, @BIM_Engineer might have plenty to say about your predicament. 

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Pappy
Welcome to the forum
If you are able to put up photos of either side of the garage wall
I would be happy to provide the repair details
Generally the better the photos and info the better the reponse
as It also assists others with similar problems
Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects