Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Age Related Laws in Victoria For The Use of Power Tools

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Age Related Laws in Victoria For The Use of Power Tools

Good morning @Jason and fellow community members.

I was hoping for some advice regarding the laws or restrictions in place regarding what age a minor has to be before they can use power tools corded and uncorded.

I have two very keen up and coming tradies in my son and daughter who regularly use certain tools under my supervision.

I was told that they can't use them until they are 18, so I was hoping someone may have the answer.

Thank you all for your continued support to this awesome community.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Age Related Laws in Victoria For The Use of Power Tools

Since nobody has replied I had a look.

https://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/safetyhw/Pages/technology.aspx

I think just about everywhere you have to be 18 to use explosive fastner tools.

Thank you very much @Brad for taking the time to look at this question.

It does pose a problem if taken in the context for parents teaching children as teachers teaching new students..

I totally agree with all OHS and PPE practices.

But the question remains at what age 

The information provided discusses mainly those entering schooling type situations and even new jobs, but not a parent teaching a child to use a drill or a Brad nailer ECT.

I have to agree with the comment @ProjectPete made that young ones need to be taught but commen sence has to be made at what age and capabilities.

My apologies Pete if they are not the exact wording.

I will keep doing more research, perhaps with MBA or HIA

But thanks Brad for your valuable contributions

Kind regards Rob

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

My thoughts, for what it's worth...

I'm not aware of any laws and I have no concerns about the age of a child on the tools provided they're with an experienced/capable adult/parent. The sooner they learn, the better IMO.

A knife isn't dangerous. It only becomes dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced (or malicious) person. And power tools come with plenty of safety features as you know so they're safer using those than even some of their toys.

It really does just come down to the supervisor's/teacher's experience, safety, the tool itself and some good ol' common sense.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

In my shed I can think of a couple of things, my fathers home made table saw - not safe no mater what age you are and my grandfathers circular saw due to it's bulk, I have moved on from it and unless you enjoy weight lifting I have better and safer options now. Folding up my mitre and table saws is not something you would ask someone in primary school to do and if I had the room I would leave the mitre saw set up as it takes over when you open it of close it down.

Common sense is apparently not all that common though.

Your absolutely right @Brad what you are saying just supports what @ProjectPete  was saying. Common sence plays a key role.

I grew up on a farm. Driving tractors at 7. Welding at not much older. Drop saws ECT.

This was done under the watchful eye of my father 

Now I have that many realated skills from being taught at a young age 

As I mentioned in a previous post, A survey was conducted in relation to this generation of 18-25 year Olds. 80% didn't know how to change a light bulb.

Common sense is of course vital. Drop saws, mitre saws would be age related and up to ones capabilities under a parants guidance 

Definitely worthy further investigation.

But hey thanks for everyone's input.

Will see what HIA and MBA say.

Will post answer

Regards Rob 👍

That is some good reading @Tranzap 

Thank you for sharing with the group.

I may have missed it but in the domestic scene, not in a buisness for profit but where the young fella or lady might be just helping dad or mum in the shed, where is the line drawn if there is a definitive line.

Thank you for your help

Kind regards Rob 👍

I don't think there is a line in the sand unless things go pear shaped.
There are some guides based on type of tool v age but they give themselves an out each way in some younger are more switched on and capable and some that should be old enough don't have the attention span to be safe, I made a judgment call to leave the blade guard off my table saw but it might be different if there were kids around. Can't find anything that relates to a case going to court anywhere in Australia involving tools, only one involving a motor bike.
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

I've never once heard of any laws on that; I've lived in NSW and SA - which is odd, because we've become very 'nanny-state' in some ways.

It's  so strange now... we never used to think about it except in the way of the child's capabilities. My mother was given the job of sharpening the knives when she was four, and I literally do not remember when I wasn't hammering and sawing something... I first used a drill when I was about six. Common sense... at six I was able to control a light drill, so I did. I was aware enough at four to be careful of sharp things and not saw through my arm. Now, there are some 16, and even 60 yr olds I've seen that are so uncoordinated, that I wouldn't give them anything sharper than a spoon...

The one that gets my goat is the hot water thing. If you can't figure out the temperature to not scald your kids or yourself, then you really ought to be under lock and key and not on the loose in society... meanwhile my dishwater goes cold too quickly and I don't see why I have to boil my kettle all the time, just for that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects