Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

An easy way to repair holes in plaster walls

Oldfart
Having an Impact

An easy way to repair holes in plaster walls

There are a number of ways to repair holes in plaster walls. Some are better than others. I find this one, if done carefully, is invisible after being painted. Total cost of material is less than $25 for the first hole (1200x900 plasterboard repair sheet, liquid nails or aquadhere, polyfilla or spakfilla). The next six or seven cost nothing as you have all the stuff you need.plaster.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: An easy way to repair holes in plaster walls

Thanks for sharing @Oldfart.

The following video might also be helpful for Workshop members who need to repair a hole in a plaster wall.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BigSteve
Getting Established

Great suggestion @Oldfart. The only thing I would add is before you use the filler take a sharp knife (stanley or similar) and cut the edge of the plasterboard around the hole to a very small chamfer. This will allow the filler to feather along the join and have less chance of showing the sharp edge.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Great suggestion @BigSteve, I also recommend using Cornice Adhesive, instead of Spakfilla, Polyfilla etc, as it doesn't slump as much if filling a wider vertical gap.

I was thinking along these lines for my repair, have large area above mantle, would this method still apply? corners of windows have split, not sure here! appreciate these posts, very helpful, thanks.
Sara87
Just Starting Out

Is this also the best way to deal with a large crack in the wall? Or should I just fill it?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @Sara87 and thanks for joining in the discussion. I hope you find plenty of useful advice and inspiration for your projects from our community members. 

I'm sure @Oldfart and other community members will be able to assist you with repairing the damage on your wall. I've also attached a video below to assist.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects