Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any tips for using hot-melt glue?

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Any tips for using hot-melt glue?

I am hoping someone with more skill than I can tell me how to use this stuff successfully. I have had a hot-melt gun for decades but have always found that using gives me questionable results. When I use it, it is stringy, messy and the it rarely holds anything together. I only use to as a short-term, spot-tack to hold things together until the real glue cures.

I am willing to concede that it may be user-inaptitude since I have seen people using it on TV who seem to get better results than I have. 

Any tips please?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any tips for using hot-melt glue?

Hi @TedBear,

I use hot glue often when I have a job it will work well on. Predominantly I use it for arts and crafts and like you for holding things in place until the secondary glue dries. I've found it adheres very well to porous surfaces and has issues with super smooth non-porous surfaces like chromed metal. It works best when encapsulating items or on large surface areas and really needs something to bite into or penetrate. When joining two items, you need to bring them together whilst the glue is still piping hot. Once the surface cools, the adhesion isn't as good. This can be a particular issue if you are glueing long lengths of something together, as once you reach the end, the glue at the beginning has already cooled. I found upgrading from an Ozito 10W Trigger Flow Glue Gun to Ozito 30W 11mm Glue Gun Kit really improved this situation as you can deliver glue much more rapidly and hotter.

I've just spent 30 minutes glueing a variety of porous and non-porous surfaces together in the hopes of illustrating what mediums are suitable. Alas, the glue decided that it would have a real good go at binding to everything I tried. The only thing that didn't bond particularly well was vinyl.

How old are the glue sticks you are using, as hot gun formulae have become more advanced over the past ten years? In fact, you can even get specific types for different mediums. I'd also like to hear more about the items you generally use the glue on.

Regarding it being messy, I'd have to agree with that. If I'm doing a lot of work, then I end up covered in it eventually. It can help to wipe the glue gun's tip on the object before pulling it away, as this stops the strands from occurring.

It would be great to hear what our other member's experiences are with hot glue. Let me mention @prettyliving, @Tara86, @redracer01 to see if they have some thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for those tips @MitchellMc .  Maybe I should check the rating of my glue gun. It is an old one and maybe not hot enough. I never even considered that. If it needs replacing - and it probably does, I'll get some new sticks while I'm at it.

Hello @TedBear 

I agree with @MitchellMc  could be that the glue stick has gone off or the gun is too weak. I don't know if glue sticks have expiry dates on them but I know that if left too long they will loose their effectiveness. I had some glue sticks left over from way back and was surprised it worked but when it dried it immediately crumpled and dried brittle. Glue sticks are very effective as seen on @MitchellMc 's experiments and if applied in great quantity will provide excellent grip to your diy art projects! 

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks @redracer01 . It sounds like I'd better replace my glue gun and sticks. Maybe it was too weak from the start. I can't find a wattage rating on it. I'll try doing some experimenting as Mitchell has done. 

Just an update,

following advice from @redracer01  and @MitchellMc   I am now the owner of a new glue gun Dewalt  95W (and new glue sticks).

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dewalt-rapid-heat-ceramic-glue-gun_p0110324

Hopefully I will now see results more like those that I've seen others have with hot melt glue.

Thanks for the detailed information guys.

(If you never hear from me again, you'll know that I have successfully stuck myself to my latest workshop project. )

Bear stuck.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great choice on that glue gun, @TedBear.

I'll be keenly awaiting your update on how well the new unit works for you. Give us a hoy if you get stuck; I'm sure there are some members nearby that can come around and pry you away from your workpiece! I'd recommend the Hart 380mm (15") Pry Bar for this application.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects