Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

At a loss on what to do with my fireplace

MiCCAS
Just Starting Out

At a loss on what to do with my fireplace

Hey team!

Would love some recommendations on what to do with this fireplace. Have considered replacing the wood with an oak, and painting the rest white. Or maybe getting an insert? I'm not sure what to do!

20190428_104949.jpg

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

Re: At a loss on what to do with my fireplace

hard to say without seeing the rest of the house and what style you are going for, I would remove the timber and do some nice cornice work around it and then render over it and go from there :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @MiCCAS

I see you've already received some helpful advice from one of our community members.

Depending on the styling of the room oak and white paint would look quite nice. I think a stark white on the brick and contrasting black paint on timber work could also give an impressive result. Once again this is dependant on the styling of the room.

I look forward to seeing what other inspirational ideas our community members can come up with for your project. Let me tag in @prettyliving and see if they have some ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

@MiCCAS what kind of style do you have going in the rest of the room? And what colours etc? Personally I love a white wash affect with either a white mantleshelf or wood to compliment the rest of the room. In my opinion, painting the bricks a straight white will only look good if the rest of the room is quite light coloured, otherwise it will just standout as  an eyesore. Also I find that when the bricks are painted a straight white, quite often the brick feature becomes lost and the mantleshelf becomes the main feature so you would want to make sure that the wood or stain you choose looks good and compliments the room. There’s really so many things you could do, it really comes down to your own personal taste and what the rest of room looks like. I‘ve attached a few ideas, but really comes down to your own tastes and style.😊86C66566-76B7-4A3E-A1E3-83DC6847681D.jpeg

F6647A06-6AC8-40C7-812C-41C90F8B706A.jpeg

9295B693-28C9-4ECB-AA7F-C83141AF220B.jpeg

@prettyliving @MitchellmcEwen @TheSaltyreefer Thank you all so much for your fast replies, and apologies for not giving your more information on the style I'm going for! It's really kind of you all to put time and expertise into helping others, so thank you!!

Here's a bigger photo of the lounge this fireplace is in - I've painted, redone lights, flooring, window furnishings - but as you can tell, the fireplace is the bit I'm stuck on!

20200407_132619.jpg

And here's the bedroom & bathroom I've finished up, to give you an idea of my taste.

20200407_132305.jpg

20200420_130251.jpg

Some questions for you all if you can help me answer:

• What white paint could I use on the brick, and does it stop me from being able to use it in the future?
  • What do I do with the inside of the fireplace? Just paint it black? Get an insert? I'm particularly at a loss with what to functionally do here if I just wanted it to look black/neater than it is now
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

@MiCCAS The room looks great! Are the walls white or light grey? 
As far as what paint to use, I’ve never done a fireplace before but I would use something that is heat resistant - I know Bunnings has one by White Knight which is designed for high temps. I’ve seen people paint the inside black which looks really good but I would prob ask a Bunnings team member about it first as it might burns toxins when you use it again. Did you want the fireplace to stand out as a feature or just to blend with the rest of the room?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MiCCAS.

I'm liking prettyliving's idea of incorporating timber and a bagged whitewash on the bricks.

If the fireplace is functional the White Knight range of high temp paints are suitable up to 540° Celsius which would be fine for the exterior brick. The range unfortunately would not be suitable where the fire will be coming in contact with them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @MiCCAS 

Love the color tones you've chosen, if I may suggest. . .if you want them to notice the fireplace I suggest a grey charcoal or gun metal color to the bricks and an ultra light grey tile as the hearth. A timber shelf that is the same tone as your table. However if you wish for it to  blend in, a white base coat and then paint the other bricks in a random manner with an off white like lexicon. This will give it that mixed pattern without having to spend a fortune on white pavers. Many examples have been shown but it all depends on if you wish the fire place to be a feature or just to blend in.  Painting the inside of your fire place needs very special paint that can withstand 700C, even then it is not recommended to be in direct contact with the flames. Perhaps a nice ornamental fire guard to cover the front. It is after all a working fire place. Hope you find your solution. Cheers! Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects