Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Beam Removal - Is it load bearing?

ploptops
Just Starting Out

Beam Removal - Is it load bearing?

Hi all

Ive recently moved into a property and looking to extend the hatch access to my loft. the only problem is a beam im not surre if it is load bearing or not and can it be removed or moved. i have attached pictures incase somone can look into this. 

also if any more information is needed i can provide.
beam goes into joist at end of building which is cemented into placebeam goes into joist at end of building which is cemented into placebeam to be removedbeam to be removedbeam is above the landing only as the other side is supported by a  brick wallbeam is above the landing only as the other side is supported by a brick wall

ploptops
Just Starting Out

Re: ADVICE: Beam Removal; Is it load bearing?

added view from another angl20190224_115629.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @ploptops and thanks for sharing some photos. Hopefully you've provided enough for members like @BIM_Engineer to share their thoughts but if you have anything else like the house plans, I would encourage you to post them. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project or have something to share. We look forward to seeing this project progress in the coming weeks. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @ploptops
Thanks for the photos, at a quick glance the beam is load bearing and you will also need to have the supporting concrete Lintel checked through to the Load Paths down to the footings
The beam can be removed/replaced, this is dependent on
best/optimised positioning & Dimensioning of the loft, you are Here
 Loft Attic Dimension
Unfortunately Old Builds/renovations require more information, Ie Dimensions, Material type/sizes,safety/construction Considerations, age and condition of the structure,Building Compliance,etc (not wishing to throw a spanner into the works)
Ive simplified the DIY Loft into 5 Stages here
Placement of a Loft within a Roof Space 
DIY Stairs for a Loft 
Floor for the LOFT (Note, You can't DIY Structural Design, Structural Engineer Certification Required)
DIY Walls For The Loft 
DIY Ceilings & Roof Window For the loft  
Here's a Tip an overview
At the preliminary design stage through to the construction Stage, You'll need to set Boundary Conditions for the above, coupled with Data, Proofs & Cost approximations and then consider your build options,ie DIY, DI4Me, DIL8r just BIM it with REAL TOOLS
I'll Be illustrating this on another project,
New Build Garage/Loft Studio-> Tight Budget
Cheers
Chris

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects