Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best method to connect new timber beam atop brick post/column at each end?

MrWallBlaster
Just Starting Out

Best method to connect new timber beam atop brick post/column at each end?

Hi All,

We're intending to demolish an existing load bearing brick wall (located at ground floor, of a two storey brick house) and we're now trying to figure out the required fasteners to connect the new timber beam (240mm tall x 90mm wide x 3400mm long) atop the brick post/columns (2460mm tall x110mm wide x 110mm long) so would be grateful for some input.

What's the best method to connect a timber beam to brick post/columns at each end? I've drawn a sketch 

for clarity. Existing ceiling joists (which are also the floor joists for the upper level) aren't shown; these run perpendicular to the beam.

Before I get asked; yes, council approval has been obtained and a qualified structural engineer has advised the requirements for the LVL timber beam and the minimum bearing dimension on the brick nib walls.

Thanks!

Section Sketch.PNGFloor Plan Sketch.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best method to connect new timber beam atop brick post/column at each end?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MrWallBlaster. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting structural beams.

It would be best to consult with the structural engineer about an appropriate connection technique, as it is linked directly to their specification for the LVL. There are likely many ways that the LVL could be connected, but whether any of those meet the loadbearing requirement is not something we could determine. I suggest giving the engineer a quick phone call and asking what are their intended connection requirements.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects