Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best mortar mix for 1920's Californian bungalow

RenoMia
Just Starting Out

Best mortar mix for 1920's Californian bungalow

Can any one suggest what would be the best formula for mortar for a 1920's Californian bungalow. I've got loose mortar in a couple of places and need to repoint. The mortar looks to be lime based but i'll don't know what the formular might be. And would I need to purchase lime putty or would hydrated lime be okay. 

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Best mortar mix for 1920's Californian bungalow

@RenoMia the old lime based mortar isn't compliance with todays codes & Standards for new or renovated houses
Having said that the biggest problem you'll have is trying to match the colour
Try creme/off white brickies cement with white sand, add a little grey to darken
Also check durability based on location..AS3700 "M4", "M3" and "M2" class mortars

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Best mortar mix for 1920's Californian bungalow

@RenoMia,

Great to see you have already received a helpful answer from Chris about this project. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. I hope you find plenty of fantastic information, advice and inspiration as you browse the discussions and gallery. Feel free to post again anytime you need a hand. I'm sure community members would also be keen to see some of the work you might have done at your place - Californian bungalows are such lovely homes. 

Please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects