Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you add sand to make textured paint?

alex4
Just Starting Out

Can you add sand to make textured paint?

IMG_2056.jpeg

 I need to match this 1960s textured finish on the walls of my house where I am repairing some cracks etc. Can I add silica sand to the paint to get this effect? And if I can, where can I buy silica sand or can I use “normal” course sand. Any other thoughts on how to replicate this effect would be very much appreciated. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Adding sand to make textured paint

Circa 1995 @alex4 there was a premix textured paint. But is was rather mountainous. 

Still available? Dulux I think?

20240525_124504.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Adding sand to make textured paint

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @alex4. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about texturing paint.

As @Noyade mentioned there are textured paint products. What he's shown is fairly coarse so more like the full cover texture from Dulux. There's also the light texture, which would be closer to the look you're going for.

Alternatively, you could put some sand in with the paint or use a stippling motion with a stiff, bristled brush. You could take a standard brush and cut the bristle short for this. Coarse sand particles might be too large, so I'd be using normal sand for this. I've taken some standard play sand and mixed it in with paint in the example below. Even that's looking a bit coarse.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

IMG_20240525_150913.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects