Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint red terracotta floor tiles?

jwilliamson
Finding My Feet

Can you paint red terracotta floor tiles?

Hi,  I have red terracotta tiles in my kitchen, bathroom and laundry but I'm sick of the colour.  I also need to replace my carpet.  Rather than drilling and ripping the tiles up, is it easier /possible to paint them in a neutral colour?  Attached are current pics and the carpet I'll be choosing.  I will have to hire a painter to do this as I'm not very handy.  Thanks in advance for your advice.  

IMG-3404.jpgIMG-3403.jpgIMG-1359.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you paint red terracotta floor tiles?

Hello @jwilliamson  

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your questions about painting your bathroom tiles.

Painting your tiles is a cost-effective method of upgrading the look of your tiles without replacing them. I suggest having a look at the Dulux Renovation Range Floors. It is a water-based coating and can be tinted to a variety of Dulux colours.

The key to successful tile painting is in the preparation of the tile area. Failure to remove wax, grease and oil deposits on the tile and the grout will result in the coating lifting or splitting from the tile surface.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint your floor tiles.

Here are some amazing tile painting projects our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects