Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Caulking gun problems

princesskilljoy
Just Starting Out

Caulking gun problems

I’m currently trying to use a caulk gun and Selleys silicone caulk to temporarily patch a gap in my external apartment wall.  I have purchased the cheapest caulk gun at Bunnings and the Selleys Light Speed Caulking gun.  The first gun managed to dispense a small amount of caulk but no longer seems to do it.  The rod seems to advance normally while there is no caulk tube but doesn’t seem to manage to do it when I load the tube back in.  The Selleys gun does not seem to be advancing when I press the trigger.   I really don’t want to have to purchase a third gun, does anyone have any ideas?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Caulking gun problems

Hi @princesskilljoy,

Welcome to the community. I'm sure our ever-helpful members will be able to assist you with some tips. Let me tag some helpful members such as @Mathy@ProjectPete, @Tara86  and @Brad  to see if they might like to kick off the discussion. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden, or have something new to share with other members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I don't mean to sound like IT with the old "Have you tried restarting it?" but unless you've got 2 faulty guns, the only thing I can think of is a) the cap of the tube hasn't be cut at all or enough You should see a full open circle once cut), or b) there's a block in the nozzle. Have you checked these things?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

I have tried trimming the nozzle further, taking the nozzle off completely, and opening a new tube of caulk.  At this point I'm not really sure what else I can do.

I'd just take it all back to Bunnings (with receipts) - they'll either help/fix it, or they'll replace it.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects