Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Choose the right cordless drill

Trying
Making a Splash

Choose the right cordless drill

Drill.png

Asking for advice here please. Looking to buy a new cordless drill for general household use.

Too many choices have left me totally confused.

Booked on Saturday to Bunnings workshop for advice before purchase, but interested in what Workshoppers can tell me. 

Thanks in advance for your input. Cheers.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Choose the right cordless drill

Trying I have used ryobi one for years with bigger lithium batteries sometimes boarding on commercial use and love it. My son is an electrician and he uses Milwaukee, its got more huff than mine but costs a lot more too. For everyday handyman stuff I recommend the ryobi.
James
Rick64
Getting Established

I bought a Dewalt 18 volt kit grinder/drill/imact driver. about 2 years ago. The warranty runs out after 12 months but the battery charger died in January. I took it into bunnings and it was replace for no charge. It took two months but Dewalt sent me a new one free of charge. I use these tools pretty hard some days especially the grinder and they have performed very well.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you have already got some fantastic advice @Trying.

You might also be interested in this previous Workshop discussion: What's the difference between a cordless drill and cordless driver?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

For general household use you don't have to spend a lot of money..Even the most expensive drills can break down and the likes of Dewalt aren't worth it for general use..
I bought an Ozito 18V. cordless drill 4 years ago, which came with a spare battery, for $79.00!! and it's still going strong and does any thing I need it for..
Don't waste your money is my advice..
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hey there.

it really is a personal preference but also you want to make sure you choose the right drill that will not just do the job but to last you it’s value.

You also want to look at what will you be using it for, by the looks it will he used just the usual DIY around the house then I would be looking at Makita, Ryobi or even Boch. 

@Trying Makita is a fav of mine but it comes down to cost and practicality. I now stick with Ryobi for the compatible battery benefits and Ryobi are top quality for their price and you can often squeeze a 6yr warranty out of them. For round the house use and the avid DIYer, Ryobi are more than sufficient. I wouldn't recommend spending extra cash on some other brands for what you intend to use yours for.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

@Trying This is a great kit both in the quality of the drill itself - it'll do big jobs and small. But also in the value and it's a great way to get your Ryobi tool collection started with the two batteries https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-18v-brushless-hammer-drill-kit_p6210652 Register the drill in the online toolbox to get 6 year warranty. Winning!
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Trying
Making a Splash

Thank you to everyone for your excellent advice - now it's off to see the guys at Bunnings on Saturday. Cheers.

Thank you Jason. That article was very informative. It always amazes me the knowledge and experience that Workshoppers have, and that they share so willingly. I'm proud to be one of their number, even if I don't have their level of knowledge or experience. Thank you again. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects