Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Colour match - any ideas on this colour?

jsuyat
Cultivating a Following

Colour match - any ideas on this colour?

Hey everyone!

I've noticed a house near me with an exterior colour scheme that I absolutely love and want to match for my own house.

I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the direction of Dulux colours that are similar for both the weatherboard and the plinth. I'm looking for warm colours.

My guess is the weatherboard may be Dulux Ecru. 

Any further ideas?

IMG-20210611-WA0001.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Colour match - any ideas on this colour?

That's a bit of a hard one, @jsuyat. I'm not sure if being a paint expert helps or hinders. When I look at those colours, I can only imagine the hundreds of shades they could possibly be. When you see the colour cards in-store, that is only a fraction of what is available. Any chance you would be so bold as to knock on their door and ask them? I'm sure they would be thrilled to hear that you love the colours and would be more than happy to let you know what they are.

I could rattle off a dozen different colours that are similar, but I'd struggle to put my finger on what they actually are. Let me tag in @redracer01 to get his opinion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jsuyat
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc , did think it was a bit of a long shot.

Took your advice and knocked on the door. The owner let us know it's Light Rice in half strength! Didn't know what the darker colour was though, but still a good result.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

If you can find it in a colour card the complementary colours may also be on the card as well.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great result @jsuyat!

For the other colour, you might like to check out these most popular Dulux greys. Have a go of the Dulux colour visualizer which will allow you to digitally paint your house. I've found there appears to be only a limited amount of colours, but it should give you a general idea. There is also a "Match colours from a photo option". It won't give you the exact colour, though it might suggest something similar. For the darker colour, it's giving me Antique silver, Pheonix fossil, Stepping stone, Wild wilderness, Downpour etc. I've re-painted the house in Thin ice and Downpour, but this is just a representation of what the colours might look like and they will vary in reality.

Mitchell

jsuyat
Cultivating a Following

Wow, the Dulux colour visualiser is a great tool. Will try that out.

We went to Bunnings and got a sample pot of Light Rice in half strength, and also Toffee Fingers as I thought this may be close to the darker colour. Love how Toffee Fingers turned out so will go with that.

But the Light Rice half is much whiter than what the house looked like. The owner told us he bought the paint from Haymes. 

I've always wondered, if different brands have the same name for a colour, are they the same colour?? Or can it be different?

IMG-20210612-WA0003.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@jsuyat,

I can't find Light rice as a colour created by Haymes, though manufacturers can sometimes double up on names. There is also the issue that if the house's owner had Dulux Light rice mixed up in Haymes paint bases, it could come out different to yours mixed up in the Dulux bases. I don't think that is the case here, though.

I'm a little surprised that this is Light rice half, as I would have thought more of the ochre tones would show through. That appears even lighter than what I would expect quarter strength to be. If anything, I'd question whether it was tinted at all, as it looks very much like plain white. You might like a helpful team member to check that for you in-store. Could you please take a picture of the printed sticker that was placed on the sample pot? I'm a little suspicious that your sample might have accidentally not been tinted.

Here are the sample cards for Dulux Light rice. Let me mention @redracer01 to get his opinion.

Mitchell

Hello @jsuyat 

That light rice colour looks very close to the photo you posted. You must keep in mind that factors such as age, weathering and surrounding elements affect the visualization of that colour your looking at. Let's say you painted light rice in front of the house where it gets full sun and rain everyday for the next 2 years. I'm quite sure that the colour will have slightly faded from its original lustre. So my suggestion is to find a colour that's very close even if it's slightly stronger and go with that. As time passes it will ease in to that desired fade that your after. But colour is a very personal choice and when it comes time to choose, make sure it's a choice that makes you happy. 

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@redracer01,

To double-check, what were your thoughts on this sample pot being light rice half? It looks very white to me, and I would have thought the sample would be more similar to the original house picture. However, even taking image discrepancy into account, I do not see any ochre in that sample.

Mitchell

Hello @MitchellMc 

I agree that sample is way too light. I would go for full strength on this paint. Even Surfmist in colour bond would be stronger than that sample. 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects