Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Condensation found under Colorbond roof in a gap in the sarking

jeremytan
Growing in Experience

Condensation found under Colorbond roof in a gap in the sarking

Hi all,

I recently went into the over ceiling space to check wiring for a separate project and noticed a gap in the sarking under my Colorbond roof which extended the entire length of the roof. Upon closer inspection, I noticed condensation on the Colorbond roof, as it had been a relatively cold morning (<8°C). This is from a house I have recently moved into, which was recently constructed in late 2018.

Based on the pictures shared below, should I be worried that this is a significant issue? And if so, what should I do to get this fixed?

Thank you.

The gap extending along the entire length of the roofThe gap extending along the entire length of the roof

The gap extending along the entire length of the roofThe gap extending along the entire length of the roof

Close up view of the condensationClose up view of the condensation

nevenka
Just Starting Out

Re: Condensation found under Colorbond roof in a gap in the sarking

Thank you for your message,

I can see that my house has NO Eve vent at all but has two wherlie birds on top. How many eav vents should I put in and which is the best that you would recommend? Also should I put a 3rd wherlie bird on the roof ? If so which would you recommend ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Condensation found under Colorbond roof in a gap in the sarking

Hello @nevenka

Thank you so much for updating us. I suggest using the  Builders Edge 200 x 400mm Aluminium Eave Vent - Twin Pack one for each corner of the house. It is made of aluminum so it will not rust and will last even in harsh weather. Most of the whirlybirds are similar in size around 300mm, I suggest getting one that is close to the colour of your roof so you will not have to paint it. If you need to add one more whirlybird make sure it is installed away from the other 2 so that your whole roof is ventilated.

If you need more information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects