Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Condensation found under Colorbond roof in a gap in the sarking

jeremytan
Growing in Experience

Condensation found under Colorbond roof in a gap in the sarking

Hi all,

I recently went into the over ceiling space to check wiring for a separate project and noticed a gap in the sarking under my Colorbond roof which extended the entire length of the roof. Upon closer inspection, I noticed condensation on the Colorbond roof, as it had been a relatively cold morning (<8°C). This is from a house I have recently moved into, which was recently constructed in late 2018.

Based on the pictures shared below, should I be worried that this is a significant issue? And if so, what should I do to get this fixed?

Thank you.

The gap extending along the entire length of the roofThe gap extending along the entire length of the roof

The gap extending along the entire length of the roofThe gap extending along the entire length of the roof

Close up view of the condensationClose up view of the condensation

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Condensation found under Colorbond roof in a gap in the sarking

Thanks for reaching out to the Workshop community with your question @jeremytan.

@MitchellMc will be happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @redracer01 to see if he has any thoughts to share in the meantime.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @jeremytan ,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! If the gap is long and is continuous, there is a possibility that it may have been missed during the construction phase of the roof. Did the roofing insulation sag? If it has sagged there is the possibility that you could pull the insulation back together to cover the gap. You can then join them together using insulation tape. However if the insulation was left out and the insulation rolls are fixed and can't be moved you will have to cover the gap with more insulation and fixed to either side with insulation tape. You will have to buy a roll ( the smallest you can find ) just make sure it is roof rated. You will then have to cut it in to appropriate sized strips and cover the gap. Just remember to use proper PPE when handling insulation. I hope my suggestion helps, if you have any other queries please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

jeremytan
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your response Red.

would you recommend the 

Ametalin 1350mm x 30m SilverWrap MD Reflective Wall Insulation?

And sealing with the Ametalin tape as well?

Hello @jeremytan 

Yes that should be sufficient to cover the gap. Make sure to overlay it with the other insulation and use insulation tape to secure it.

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

jeremytan
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much Red. Will give it a crack tomorrow!

Hi @jeremytan,

It's fantastic to see you've received some excellent advice from the knowledgeable @redracer01. If you get stuck over the weekend, give us a shout. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Hi MichelleMc,

I have a Question,

My walls in my house are dripping water I suspect it being condensation from the tin roof not having this sarging stuff or could it be that I need vents that go under my eves (as I can not see that the house has this). Anyway, if my house needs sarging can we do it ourselves. $55,000 is to much and we can not afford this. 
or, do you know anyone that can help us?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nevenka. We're pleased you could join us. 

While Mitchell is on leave at the moment following the birth of his son, let me tag our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to assist you.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site. 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nevenka

Thank you so much for sharing your question about condensation in your roof.

One of the best ways to remove condensation in your roof cavity is to get air movement. You can attach a roof vent to your roof and an eave vent to the bottom of the eave to facilitate airflow. Temperature changes inside your roof cavity drive the whirlybird and move the air out along with the condensation. 

One of the other ways for you to put insulation in your roof is to buy your own insulation and contract for the labor only. I suggest asking around your area for the going rate for installation only. There are many hazards to installing your own insulation unless you have the proper training and experience. I recommend not attempting it as a D.I.Y. project.

Let me tag our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @TedBear for their recommendations. 

If you need further advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects