Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Conduit/Pipe colours

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Conduit/Pipe colours

Hi all,

I mean't to do this ages ago.

It appears that there is quite a lot of renovating going on and I would like to clarify that power, water, gas etc services have different colours to identify them.  It is extremely important to install services in their respective colours, not only for legalities, but mainly for safety.

I won't list all the colours, but these will be some you will probably see.

Orange - Electrical (underground)

Light Grey - Electrical (above ground)

White - Communications

Yellow - Gas

Blue - Water

Red - Fire

Purple - Recycled water

Tan - Garden drip

Now you are probably going to say 'but retic poly pipe is white'.  Yes it is, but it is clearly marked for this purpose and it won't ruin your day if you hit it.

This is in accordance with Australian Standard AS-1345.1995.

Stay safe and have a Happy New Year

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

Re: Conduit/Pipe colours

Many thanks, Mitchell. Your reply is perfect, answering what I originally wanted to know. 

HandyAndy
Building a Reputation

Re: Conduit/Pipe colours

thanks for the tag @Jason 

generally speaking, communications can be installed in grey conduit also
for this purpose, white is nominated, not sure if it is an australian standard as this is not my area of expertise, however, NBN & other telecommunications networks have standards that can exceed australian standards.

I believe this particular installation requires a specific ticket/license, i would be surprised if NBN or Other, would install there cable in a conduit installed by you, but i may be wrong.

however, to answer your question, if NBN has told you white conduit, then it must be white.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects