Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Crayon inlay coffee table

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Crayon inlay coffee table

full.pngIMG_20190221_133557.jpgIMG_20190221_133629.jpgIMG_20190221_145614.jpgIMG_20190221_153012.jpgIMG_20190308_154900801.jpgIMG_20190308_160534580.jpgUntitled.jpg

If your are interested in the products I used to create this coffee table, they were-

-Interbuild 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel

Acacia Bench top $99

-Cabot's 250ml Cabothane Clear Interior Water Based Varnish

Cabothan water Based $18.30

-Ryobi One+ 18V Random Orbital Sander - Skin Only

Ryobi Random Orbital $99.90

-Ryobi One+ 18V Trim Router - Skin Only

Ryobi Trim Router $99.00

-Ryobi 2000w Corded Heat Gun

Ryobi Corded Heat Gun $79.90

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

madmonkeys
Just Starting Out

Re: Crayon inlay coffee table

Would it still work with oil based varnish?

Hi @madmonkeys,

Really sorry to see that your first post on Workshop didn't receive a reply during my absence from the community. Let me tag @MitchellM in the hope that he can assist you with your question about using an oil-based varnish. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join in the discussion and trust you have been inspired by Mitch's wonderful work. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with our members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Crayon Inlayed Coffee Table

Love love love this.  What a great idea...

@madmonkeys Sorry for the delayed response, I don't see why it wouldn't. Because there are so many mediums in play here, crayon/epoxy etc. It's always best practice to do a test section before potentially ruining a project.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@Corinne @MitchellM 

Just a bit of FYI - though Chris came to it independently - he isn't the first to have the crayon idea. People have played with this since before the internet - I lived near a woodworker in country NSW who did some décor pieces with crayon inlay, back in the 80's sometime.

I believe there was a discussion in a woodwork magazine forum about it... maybe 2010? or thereabouts.

It crops up fairly regularly - some one always says "I know! Why don't we try..." lol.

Hard to give credit for ideas that have been floating around in the ether for years. You never know what you might subconsciously pick up that leads to your Eureka! moment.

Yes I have seen crayon work around since I was a kid, and that was a while back.  My eldest now in her 30's did work melting crayons in craft and art work when she was in primary school.  So it's deff not a new thing.  

Cheers

This old Gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects