Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cyclone damage.. how did you fair?

TheFoxSays
Cultivating a Following

Cyclone damage.. how did you fair?

Over the past week, many Queenslanders have felt the affects of Cyclone Debbie and the destruction she has brought with her. 

I am located in Central Qld, so one of the first to feel the cyclones affect. We managed fairly well, fortunately not losing power and only a small down time losing internet and phone service. 

We did however end up with a leaky roof! Now my battle will be containing the mould, I would love some tips on your most tried and tested products to contain it as best I can. We currently have repairmen looking over the roof to access the damage and where it's leaking. 

How did everyone fair with the cyclone? What potential repairs are you up against? 

Thoughts go out to everyone who has been affected by Cyclone Debbie.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Cyclone damage.. how did you fair?

Glad to read that damage at your property was minimal @TheFoxSays. Hope you get the roof repaired quickly. I'm sure community members will be quick to suggest methods to combat the mould. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@TheFoxSays

You'll want some moisture absorbers. Something like this - https://www.bunnings.com.au/damprid-300g-disposable-moisture-absorber_p4470046

We used to live in a 150 year-old sandstone place and had to use these in the wardrobes to stop our clothes and shoes from going mouldy. It was amazing how quickly they used to fill up with water. 

Super_D
Becoming a Leader

All good here..... Fell for everyone who is still getting flooded...
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

All the best to those currently battling flood water and/or facing the tough prospect of mopping up. I just watched a video of a house actually floating away. Astonishing and heartbreaking. Fortunately the occupants were rescued earlier. 

TheFoxSays
Cultivating a Following

Cyclone Debbie has certainly caused a lot of damage and the after affects are still occurring now with poor Rocky being flooded. I am hoping that everyone stays safe and no more fatalities occur.
Thanks for the suggestion @Kermit, I've invested in some of those moisture absorbers. The damp smell is not quite as bad now thankfully.

Completely agree with @Kermit wrt these damprid products.  We had an untraceable leak in our campervan and this kept everything nice and dry.  

I did find the leak eventually. 

Cheers

Daryl

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects