Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. concrete vase

hannah
Building a Reputation

D.I.Y. concrete vase

Getting on board the industrial concrete trend by making these concrete vases over the weekend. Surprisingly very easy, using quick set concrete meant each one only took 15mins to make.  Might spray paint the bottom with some metallic paints - what do you think? 

WORKSHOP.jpgWORKSHOP.jpg

Community manager's note: As Hannah's project has been so popular, our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert Mitch has created an easy-to-follow step-by-step guide How to make cement planter pots with a full list of tools and materials. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Concrete Vase

Welcome to the Workshop community @SarahE.

It's fantastic to have you join us and trust you'll find the community full of inspirational projects just like this one. Please remember to hit that "Start a discussion" button anytime you have something to share or when you need assistance with your projects.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mandilee
Getting Established

Hi, I know that Wish sell the exact same silicon mould. Unsure of sizing though.

Made them herself 

Mandilee
Getting Established

Hi, why would weight be an issue?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mandilee. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Were you looking to create some concrete vases or pots like these? 

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your own house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share them with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members are sharing their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

james64
Cultivating a Following

You could try to make your own, by using any wood you might have lying around, for me, it always is wood pallets, I get them for free at hardware shops or look at Gumtree or E-bay for free.

Cut to the shape you like, and a same smaller shape one that will complete the desired shape.

Lline the outer one with a plastic bin liner or something like that, spray WD-40 to stop the sticking, something that you find works.

Add cement, line smaller shape with plastic and weight it down with stones water to get desired shape.

Wait to set, fingers crossed, it all works? If not, try, try again, and have fun doing it. As for some people, during this lock down we have plenty of free time on our hands.

Kind regards James

Hello !!

sorry, what Quick-set cement do you use?, I mean, brand or presentation !!

I bought Dingo Mortar, but is too sandy !! 

Thank  you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: D.I.Y. concrete vase

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CarlosMancilla. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

From @hannah's description, I would presume they have used something similar to Australian Builders 20kg Quick Set Concrete. You might be interested in reading through these discussions: DIY cement pots by @JI and Which cement to use and what ratio to mix for making pots by @ppp.

We look forward to hearing more about your concrete vase project and we'd encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share your results. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration for your projects from within the community as our creative members are sharing their creations here every day.

Mitchell

Thank you Mitchell , I bought Grey cement, With a 1:1 mix Dingo Mortar and Dingo Grey Cement it worked perfect for silicone pot molds !! 

DA7A74A0-DF4C-42DB-969E-F9E60EA9A098.jpeg

@CarlosMancilla,

That pot looks fantastic! What are you going to plant in them? 

The quick-set concrete has small stones in it so I'm not sure how well it will work in such small silicone molds.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects