Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. concrete vase

hannah
Building a Reputation

D.I.Y. concrete vase

Getting on board the industrial concrete trend by making these concrete vases over the weekend. Surprisingly very easy, using quick set concrete meant each one only took 15mins to make.  Might spray paint the bottom with some metallic paints - what do you think? 

WORKSHOP.jpgWORKSHOP.jpg

Community manager's note: As Hannah's project has been so popular, our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert Mitch has created an easy-to-follow step-by-step guide How to make cement planter pots with a full list of tools and materials. 

Re: D.I.Y. concrete vase

Little succulents !!

everything  here, bought at Bunnings !! 

A83291E6-B818-4FAC-B963-EB5FEBAF66C9.jpeg

E3FE6559-0E06-4E7B-8E7A-79913577598C.jpeg

BFA83A56-E466-4AC4-8966-410431757451.jpeg

Nikkaz
Making a Splash

These look great! You've inspired me to have a go on the weekend :laugh: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Nikkaz,

Make sure you post some pictures of the process and results. I'm contemplating trying this myself.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JI
Cultivating a Following

@CarlosMancilla 

Hi Carlos, where did you get the mold from?

Anna3
Just Starting Out

I’d like to make some concrete pots and I am wondering if I can use a bag I already have in my garage called ‘Render it’ from Cement Aust?  Would I need to add something to it to get it to set?  Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Anna3. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

Render-It has a maximum recommended application thickness of 10mm. You might need to do a bit of an experiment as the product is normally designed for thin coats on walls. I do not know of a product that can be added to ensure it sets in thicker coats. Alternatively, a bag of Australian Builders 20kg Quick Set Concrete would be perfect for the project as seen from the results above.

You'll need to let us know how you go as we'd love to see your results.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

As Hannah's project has been so popular with Bunnings Workshop members and visitors alike, our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc has created an easy-to-follow step-by-step guide How to make cement planter pots.

The guide includes a full list of tools and materials and plenty of photos so you can quickly and easily create your own pots.

Enjoy, and please share your own creations with the community. 

Jason

Mandilee
Getting Established

Re: DIY Concrete Vase

Hi, what did you use the Plastic cup for?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Concrete Vase

Hi @Mandilee,

The cup is placed in the centre to provide a cavity where the plant's roots will live. If you didn't place the cup in the middle, it would end up a solid cement block with nowhere to plant in. If you check out the step-by-step guide I put together on how to make a cement planter pot, you'll see I've used a secondary clear plastic pot instead of a cup. I'll include an image below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects