Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. disasters - for a laugh

Walter

D.I.Y. disasters - for a laugh

We all show and talk about our successes, and we should be proud, but something got me going, and I'll share some small (temporary) disasters.

1: My brother was using a spray painter to paint the walls of his bathroom and toilet.  The spray gun "exploded", that is, disconnected, sprayed paint all over him, covered him in white, and he tripped over the paint can. When I arrived  after a phone call, he was still covered head to toe in white paint, the bathroom floor was covered also, and he was using a mop and bucket to clean up.  Eventually, he got the job completed, and it looks quite nice. I have pictures, but in the interest of privacy, haven't uploaded them

2: I was using some expanding foam to fill up a gap under the eaves of the house. It seemed the right thing to do.  So I was standing on a ladder, and the foam went in quite nicely. Left a good job.  Unknown to me, some foam had dropped onto my head. It's quite light, so I didn't feel it, and no, I wasn't wearing a hat.  After it mostly dried and adhered to my hair, I could not get it out, comb or wash.  So this stuff is REALLY good.  I ended up shaving my head, and looked like Uncle Fester from the Addams Family for about a month. I have pictures, but in the interest of decency, and so as to not frighten anyone, I haven't uploaded them

3:, (most recently).  So we had the pool shed taken down about 3 months ago. No dramas, and the water pipe which was for the shower and toilet in the outside shed, was left poking slightly above ground and capped.  For later, you understand. I had plans, as we are getting a "granny flat" built on the property.  So I was out mowing the lawns, and you know how you "get into the zone"?, hypnotised, and you guessed it, I ran over the pipe with the mower.  The mistake I made was pulling the mower backwards, while it was still running.  Only slight damage on the blades, but a geyser erupted in my back yard. Soaking me, the mower, the freshly hung washing etc.  I ran to the front to turn off the mains, and called a plumber to fix it.  Plumbers are expensive ( I got him to fix new shower taps and a new outside tap while he was there). No pictures to protect myself from further ridicule.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Disasters - for a laugh.

Hello @Walter

I recently had an embarrassing situation with my son's bed kit. In supreme confidence, I opened the bed kit and just based my assembly by looking at the picture on the packaging. I was plodding along and behold the manufacturer had made a mistake with their center support. It appears that it did not have the holes necessary to support the center bar for the bed. I was furious and was so angry at how cheap and nasty this bed frame was. Now I had to break out my drill and steel bits to drill new holes for the bed.

In my wife's supreme wisdom she had my eldest son stay with me for this particular situation. My son had quietly pointed out to me that I was assembling the bed upside down. I of course was in denial and would not admit defeat, reluctantly I had to disassemble the bed frame and read the instructions. It was eventually put together and my son is very happy with his new bed. I of course deny the whole incident and pretended that nothing ever happened while assembling the bed frame.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: DIY Disasters - for a laugh.

@EricL   hahaha,

I'm similar, I tend not to read the instructions until I've reached a dead end 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects