Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIYing to happiness

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

DIYing to happiness

I've seen plenty of evidence that Workshoppers have, or are about to embrace the fulfilling experience of making something for their family, partner or self.

Along with the research, designing process, planning & sweat, come rewards in many facets of life.

Whether you like it or not, you have, or will save a lot of money, & that should be locked in.

Try as you might like to avoid it, there are times when life can be overwhelming, I know, I've been there.

My coping mechanism is to recall our path, & taking it all into consideration, I discuss with my wife, what would bring her pleasure if we treated ourselves/herself to a treat. Something that we'd both love gets immediate approval, but if I can't think of anything at all, something for her is an enduring feel good experience.

The occasional splurge can give you a psychological boost, something that we can all do with in this day an age of struggling to stay afloat.

If it sets back a project, so what, you've earnt the break anyway.

late edit addition:

What's worked for us, is that rather than splashing out (though with moderation) on something that is a momentary pleasure, we prefer something that is tangible, & will remain a treasured item. Thing is, don't dig yourselves a bigger hole by borrowing more money for a transient pick me up, think it through, & it will be an investment in happiness.

Jackson
Making a Splash

Re: DIYing to happiness

Hey @Andy_Mann, I'm loving your passion but I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that if you DIY a project, it affords you the opportunity to put your hard-earned money towards more frivolous purchases (e.g. a reward for all of your hard work)? 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Sorry Jackson, & possibly others, I didn't make myself clear. : (

I'll probably struggle to explain it clearly this time, but you mostly got it right.

DIYers by nature, are dedicated to doing the best that they can, whether it be for the sheer personal satisfaction of making it themselves, &/or DIYing to alleviate parcelling work out to the lowest quote, which is prone to become a dismal & expensive failure.

My intent is to steer the battlers to step back, & take in what they've achieved/saved, because life isn't predictable, or fair. Curve balls can arrive from health issues that come out of nowhere (unavoidable), reno complications (kind of expected), to a partner being retrenched, by their profit obsessed employer.

Pressures may seem liveable in isolation, but when combined, can take their toll.

I certainly didn't mean that DIYers should lavish themselves with frivolous & expensive indulgences that would make their financial dilemmas even worse. It's more about taking a step back & acknowledging the hard work that they've put in.

Taking a well earnt & timely break, the cheapest option, can work wonders.

The other avenue, is measure up the benefits of an enduring modest investment in something tangible, that will bring lasting pleasure, & an ongoing reminder of their efforts.

In our case, we bought a Nespresso capsule coffee machine, because the few times that I'd bought Cappuccinos, it was something special. Crunching numbers, it soon became obvious that even at a cup a day each, the machine would pay for itself in no time, & we had the added bonus that we could have that treat whenever we wanted.

There are times in life when even the most dedicated & hard working, wonder if there's light at the end of the tunnel, it can be relentless.

I urge DIYers to weigh up their own situations, & make an informed decision on what may help them through some of the darker moments of life.

Again, it doesn't have to be expensive, but something that you can look back on in years to come, in acknowledgement/appreciation of what you've put in.

I tend to agree....

I bought myself an Australian native HINCHINBROOK ISLAND BANKSIA,Banksia plagiocarpa,blue flowers, paid for it, now I only hope I dont kill it and get to enjoy the unusual blue flowers for a long time.... I think my garden is my rest and relas [even when I am working, Need a break from not being able to find what I want....... Guess that comes with not liking the latest and greatest....

Enjoy you cuppas, hope you have a nice sunrise or sunset to put your feet up and enjoy with the cuppa :smile:
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Again JaninaG-NoDoDo, we are aligned, pleasures don't need to expensive, they just need to be meaningful & something that refreshes the spirit. And as you say, sunrises & sunsets can be spectacular, we just need to set aside time to revel in them, & a small personal treasure nearby can bring it all together.

The reward and satisfaction of achieving something yourself is far greater than it having been given or purchased, regardless of size or value. When you conquer a repair or solve a problem or create or build something that serves a purpose, there is no better feeling in the world!
Wood Working with Wayne
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Totally agree Wayne, when everything works out in the end, no matter how arduous, it's profoundly rewarding, & something that you can look back on with pride for years to come.

For a fun tangent, my gorgeous wife came across this video the other day, & it's a crack up. Though not directly related to DIYers, it's worth a look to see how much fun she had buying herself a Birthday present. Apparently it's gone viral on YouTube, but worth another look if anyone's seen it before.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3yRv5Jg5TI

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects