Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dealing with pantry moths

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Dealing with pantry moths

Hi people of workshop!

I have a query. Apologies if it is on here already, but I could not find it. 

We have been getting quite a lot of small moths roaming around our house and making themselves comfortable. They are very similar looking to the below image.

moths.PNG

We have tried using moth balls to remove them, but they don't seem to do anything and just smell awful. 

Does anyone have any ideas why these would be propping up or how to remove them? We haven't found anything eaten so we not sure why they are hanging around. 

Thanks!

Kay

Bron1
Just Starting Out

Re: Dealing with pantry moths

Re pantry moths : along with all the other ideas mostly cleaning cupboards out and using sealed containers.there is a product on the market call moth traps . Most supermarkets sell it . It’s ongoing but I have found it very effective.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @Bron1

Looking forward to reading more of your posts soon. Please feel free to post anytime you have something to share or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We have loads of clever and creative members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LizzieBee
Just Starting Out

I agree with WallsendWoman Bay leaves are the secret to controlling the little beasties. After a bad infestation I think it is wise to clean everything down as suggested, chuck any offending food and get ready to start again. I have a Bay tree (also known as Laurel tree) and I just scatter the Green Bay leaves straight from the tree onto the pantry shelves, as they dry I just add a few more green ones, so generally there is a mix of green and dry leaves on the pantry shelves. I also scatter them on top of my rice and then shut the lid tightly. I like Wallsendwoman’s idea of washing with bay leaf tea. I assume that is the water left over after boiling Bay leaves. Sounds like a good residue to leave on the shelves. Cockroaches don’t like Bay leaves either. A Bay Leaf tree is easy to grow in a pot or garden. I have one in the garden and one in a pot close to the kitchen. My tree is about 30feet high and is over 20 years old. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LizzieBee. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the conversation.

I trust our members will find your experience with bay leaves helpful. I'll try it myself as we often have the same issue at my house.

We look forward to hearing more about the projects around your house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or would like to share one with us. I'm sure you will find a great deal of inspiration within the community as our creative members are contributing there projects here all the time.

Mitchell

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Kay. You can purchase Pantry Moth Baits that have a pheromone that attracts the moth to the bait. They are excellent. 

I also use Bay Leaves from our garden. I just break off a small branch and place it in our pantry. 

I also put Bay leaves in our Rice container 😊 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Alternatives for removing moths

91244BC2-1907-4A0A-BA14-5E7D6217E250.jpeg

I always use my Bay Leaves 🌿🌿

Blackbox
Finding My Feet

Hi Kaylah_rose

Had the same happen to me. I left bay leaves all over in the pantry, on the shelves and everywhere else. I also left pantry moth traps on every shelf.

Got rid of them eventually

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @Blackbox. It's great to have you as part of the Bunnings Workshop community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Welcome,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects