Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do your pets sleep indoors?

CathD
Making a Splash

Do your pets sleep indoors?

Pet.jpg

The nights are starting to get colder at our place, which means its time for the annual discussion (fight) about whether the dog can sleep indoors. 

Do your pets sleep indoors? Why or why not? 

Hopefully I'll get some advice that can turn the discussion in my favour at home...

Re: Do your pets sleep indoors?

Although since that was published she has gone incognito (I think the pink PJs were an embarrassment.

snowygoggles.jpg

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Our boys sleep on our beds, & it's up to them to choose who they bed down with. Their sleeping habits are quite different depending on which bed they choose. My wife is unaware of them all night, until she gets a morning snuggle. I'm more or less their big bro, so it's pretty much a scramble for us to take up the least amount of bed real estate as possible.
One night I went to turn over, but my head was buried into the pillow. I was pretty groggy, but soon sensed a weight on the side of my head, something draped over my face, & very slight pressure on my chest. My little buddy had his front quarters over my temple, his face draped over mine, & a leg lazing across my chest. I was determined to roll over, & I did, but he didn't budge. : )
Elaine
Getting Established

I have three dogs and they are part of our family so yes they sleep inside at night either in there beds or ours depending on what takes their fancy.
We used to have two Alaskan malamutes and they lived in the house as well.

Mille & Rubes.JPGI live on a farm with hubby and my dog and hubby has refused to allow the dog inside, so I have her on a raised bed with a single doona folded in half and one of those electric throws on at night and in winter I also tie another woolen blanket onto the veranda rail sort of making a tent,  she's as cosy as any outside dog could be!!

Gorgeous photo @Baretta11.

Have you seen this discussion - Show off your pet? I'm sure these two would be a popular addition!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Maaaaate, here I am checking out all of your posts so that I can ramp up your "liked" count, & you do this to me? : (

I'll cut you some slack if the kennel's got a King sized bed, mood lighting, 4K TV, an internet connection, perpetual subscriptions to dating sites, an auto feeder, air con, & an ensuite composting toilet.

Our cattle dog has free access to the house and yard. She loves to be with her pack (us) and we can see her sadness when she's shut in or out for some reason. She knows the house rules and usually obeys them!!! We love her waggy tail following us around wherever we are. Sharing our days together is why we have her. My wife changed my ideas about this from my childhood and now I couldn't imagine having an outdoor only dog. I vote for indoor dogs.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Absolutely RickyH, dogs are pack animals, which by natural means that they want/need company.
As you say, there's real joy in seeing their tails wag, their eyes glow, the impromptu snuggles, & unconditional love.

My two Jack Russells own the house and kindly allow me to live with them.

Alicia
Building a Reputation

Check out this discussion on Houzz - it got a bit out of control. Lots of passionate dog owners! 

https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/1053545/best-way-to-house-a-growing-puppy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects