Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Double hung window balances

macrak4
Finding My Feet

Double hung window balances

Hi.  After 28 years the spiral balance in one of my front windows has quit in me.  Quote to repair $420.  

Happy to DIY but while there are plenty of videos out there for DH windows, I can't find instructions form my Boral window.  Have you replaced one? Was it difficult? Do you have instructions?  Thanks

IMG_20200219_092320723.jpg

IMG_20200219_092538451_HDR.jpg

  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Double hung window balances

Hi @macrak4,

Welcome to the Workshop community. Great to have you join us - love that D.I.Y. spirit you have. 

Let me tag the ever-helpful @Brad to see if he might have tackle a job like this in the past and could kick off the discussion for you. 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think I have fixed one in an aluminium window, given I don't have a great recall of the event it mustn't of been too difficult.

Parts seem to come in at under $30 a side, the heavy duty ones are a special order so timing may be an issue.

If you have access to the fixing points it shouldn't be $300+ in labour costs to change, if you can take it out to take to the store to get a new one you should be able to put it in again.

Thanks for replying.  I have sourced the parts and even with 4 new boots (top and bottom) I imagine $80ish.  Wasn't sure about the fit of the boots - plenty of videos for steel boots with rivets etc but mine are plastic and can't see instructions for removal/fitting.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects