Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dust extraction for palm sander?

AngelaJ
Growing in Experience

Dust extraction for palm sander?

Hello! I'm hoping someone might know something about dust extraction and wet/dry vacs...
I keep putting off sanding my walls in prep for painting because everything gets coated in fine paint and plaster dust, I'm wondering if a shop vac like the Ryobi 1250W 18L Wet/Dry Vac would work with a little Ryobi palm sander? I can work around adapting hoses if that's an issue, I just don't know if such a vac that can handle plaster dust, or work effectively?? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dust extraction for palm sander

Hi @AngelaJ,

Typically, if the palm sander does come equipped with a device for collecting dust, it is a small container like the one seen on the Ryobi 100W Palm Sander with Bag. I haven't really heard of anyone adapting the rectangular fitting to suit a round hose. It would be much easier to adapt a hose onto a Ryobi's 18V ONE+ Random Orbital Sander, which has a round outlet for its bag. 

Wet/Dry vacs are designed for collecting dust. For the fine plaster dust, it's likely a good idea to also run the paper collection bag in the unit. This will make sure the dust doesn't make it through to the foam and paper filter. You'll then easily be able to swap out the paper collection bag instead of having to remove plaster dust from the foam and paper cartridge filter.

I'll be keen to hear about and see how you connect the hose to the sander. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AngelaJ
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, thanks for your quick response!
I have the little cordless sander, it doesn't come with a dust bag, but it does come with an adaptor for attaching to a dust extraction set up. I don't suppose a hose that just fed the dust outside would help? Or does it need suction to take to take the dust away?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@AngelaJ,

I can't imagine that the sander would be powerful enough to vent the dust down a tube by itself. They are really only designed to force the dust into a bag on the unit. Suction would be required to draw the dust down the tube.

Mitchell

AngelaJ
Growing in Experience

Thanks, I thought as much. I might try attaching a pillow case or something as a dust bag. I'll see how I go!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@AngelaJ,

I've just spoken to Ryobi, and we can order you in a Dust bag that suits the 18V ONE+ 125MM RANDOM ORBITAL SANDER. Its part number is PN#019657003001, and a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders desk can get one in for you. You might need to adapt it to suit your model, but I'd imagine it might be more convenient than a pillowcase.

Mitchell

AngelaJ
Growing in Experience

Thank you, the adapter that comes with the sander converts the little rectangle slot to a round outlet, so that bag you recommend should work. I'll try that, thanks again!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AngelaJ

It's great that @MitchellMc has given you fantastic advice for your Ryobi sander. If your worried of dust contamination on your furniture, I suggest using some Paint Partner 2.6 x 3.6m Plastic Backed Canvas Drop Sheet to cover your furniture. Tie them off the bottom using GRUNT 3mm x 50m Macrame Cotton Cord. If you wish to isolate rooms for safety use Monarch 1.2 x 4m Commercial Zip Door, it is reusable and can be attached to the door frame by using tape. For your own personal safety, I suggest using 3M GP1 Painter's Carbon Valved Disposable Respirators - 2 Pack in conjunction with Protector Safety Glasses With Dust Guard - Clear.

My top tip for your sanding job is to wear clothes that you wont mind getting dust on. Remember, all the items I've mentioned are re-usable, so please keep them safe for your next project. It sounds like a repainting project in the making! I'm sure our members would be keen to see some progress shots of your project. Should you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide you with advice and information. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects