Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Film to tint double glassed windows?

pjayakody
Just Starting Out

Film to tint double glassed windows?

Hello

Could you please advise me on a film that I can use on Double glassed windows? Is it possible to stick reflective film on outside glass of the window? I am hoping that if I apply the reflective film to outside glass it might reflect light and heat and might not heat the glass bad enough to damage it.

Thanks.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Film to tint double glassed windows?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pjayakody. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

There are a few different varieties of window film available in our stores:

• Crystal - Has the highest transparency rate keeping external views. It blocks up to 99% Ultraviolet Rays, 90% of Infrared Heat and while allowing 72% Light flow.

• Tinted - Has a medium transparency rate and will allow partial external views. It blocks up to 98% Ultraviolet Rays, 56% Infrared Heat and 74% of the Light flow.

• Mirror  - Has the lowest transparency rate and will limit the external view. It blocks up to 98% Ultraviolet Rays, 89% Infrared Heat and 87% of the Light flow.

I would advise you to go with either the Crystal or Tinted varieties to maximise the external views but limit ultraviolet rays and infrared heat. The Mirror variety will almost block all external views. Window tints are installed on the inside of your windows; if you wish to install them on the outside, you might need to do some experimenting.

You might be interested to read through this previous topic: D.I.Y. mirror tinted window by @prettyliving.    

Here's a step-by-step tutorial that you should find helpful: How To Install Window Film

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Film to tint double glassed windows?

@MitchellMc Thanks a lot

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects