Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Flyscreen door roller replacement

DionSouthwell
Getting Established

Flyscreen door roller replacement

Hi,

I have a fairly old sliding flyscreen door that has a broken roller assy that needs replacing. If it was just the wheel/roller that needed replacing it would be a fairly simple task, however the plastic housing that holds the roller is broken.

I need some advice on how to remove the whole roller assy as there seems to be no obvious way of getting it out or are these sealed units where you have to renew the entire screen door ?

Any advice appreciated.

20210318_095907.jpg

20210318_095913.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Flyscreen door roller replacement

Hello @DionSouthwell 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! I suspect that a Cowdroy Security Screen Wheel Sliding Door Track Accessory can solve this problem. I suggest getting a flat head screw driver and lifting the corner of the wheel assembly. The entire assembly must be pulled out including the wheel housing. Since it is already damaged there should be no worry of further damage to the wheel assembly. You may apply brute force to remove the unit sometimes it just held in by silicone other times a single screw is holding it in place. IN any case once you've removed it, it will give you a better idea of how it was placed in. Once you've managed to pull it out measure the unit and see if it the same size as the Cowdroy unit. If not look through the Cowdroy wheel spares assembly set and find the one closest to it. Hope it all goes well. I've placed photos below as to my guess what it could be.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-03-19 Cowdroy Security Screen Wheel Sliding Door Track Accessory(2).pngScreenshot_2021-03-19 Cowdroy Security Screen Wheel Sliding Door Track Accessory(1).pngPlease double check sizing as there are few models to choose from.Please double check sizing as there are few models to choose from.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DionSouthwell,

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from the knowledgeable @redracer01. I'd agree that if there are no obvious screws, it will likely be just a press fit. You could try gripping the plastic housing with Irwin 250mm Vise Grip Curved Jaw Locking Pliers and pulling it out. Alternatively, once the pliers are locked on to the housing, try tapping them with a hammer using sharp blows in the direction of removal. Hopefully, the sharp blows will release the housing from any silicone or debris lodging it in position.

Please let us know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

16167491569332667254602670816549.jpg

 Hi, as a follow up to this post it ended up being a sealed internal  corner piece, have not  one across these before.

Hello @DionSouthwell 

After doing a quick Bunnings search I came across this spare part number. Bunnings f/l : 3980055 Rolltrak Adjustable Screen Door Corner Stake and Roller. Please bring your original to compare size and height. You may also call the store and ask the hardware department if they have this unit in stock at your local. If not it can be ordered at the Special Orders desk. I've attached a picture below. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-03-26 Rolltrak Adjustable Screen Door Corner Stake and Roller.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Many thanks for the update, @DionSouthwell. Is it all one sealed unit that you need to disassemble the corner to remove? I wasn't actually expecting that, but now I'll know for next time!

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects