Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front door replaced to get more light in

markde
Getting Established

Front door replaced to get more light in

My fine wife wanted more light to be let in to our entry hallway, so I replaced the front door.

I bought a slab of wood and some bits and pieces to go with it. Sliced the slab in half with my trusty circular saw and swapped the pieces to put the straight bits on the outside 

9772EAD1-4B1B-44EF-9255-BC288005D454.jpeg

318BDA9C-BEBE-418A-AF98-0C85F2E292E2.jpeg

A chisel, router and trimmer did most of the rest of the work. I got a few bits of glass made to size to let the light in. Twisted and bent a bit of 1” bar for the handle (welding with my new welder). All tools and even the door lock from Bunnings.

End result: wife happy

  

9A74E5CA-5F20-46E4-B322-AD4FD3A17BC8.jpeg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: how i got more light in

Hey @markde 

Welcome to Workshop and thank you for sharing with us all.

I have to say wow because not many would think to say I'm going to make my own front door and seeing this I bet you have just inspired a few to now go do the same.

It is very Australian fitting and feels like it should be on a house set in the bush or large property.

How did you go about fixing it together is it just glued and screwed? Is the glass panels rebated in at the inside ?

Carl

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Front door replaced to get more light in

Great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community @markde. It looks like you have a lot of experience and creativity to share with other members. We trust you will receive plenty of inspiring ideas and helpful advice in return. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share.

As per Carl's message above, I'm sure many community members will be interested in reading more about this project, too. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
markde
Getting Established

C4EC9A2C-6E06-41D8-A04A-442143525AD2.jpeg

 I used a double mortise and tenon joint, it was pretty fiddly to get right, but slow and steady gets there, with ratchet straps to pull it together and hold it while the high-strength wood glue dried.

For the glass I routed a slot on the inside of the door and used a structural silicon adhesive, and on the rectangular pieces put a trim on the inside

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Brilliant, many thanks for the extra detail @markde.

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon! @markde 

Is the new door - now taller? Or is there more glass above it, as seen in the original door photo?

Cheers!

Capture.PNG

markde
Getting Established

The new door is taller 🙂

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning! @markde 

The twisted 25mm steel bar door handle looks neat. Difficult or managed on the first attempt?

markde
Getting Established

64C7E7E9-5D36-45F8-99DB-E85AA110F5D2.jpeg

First time, but:

I did it in a TAFE blacksmith workshop with a proper furnace and legvice, the right tools make all the difference, and I had an excellent TAFE blacksmith nearby in case anything went wrong.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects