Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fungus (Mushroom?) growing in indoor plant soil!

tony1982
Building a Reputation

Fungus (Mushroom?) growing in indoor plant soil!

Hi team

I noticed this morning some kind of fungus growing in the soil of my Rubber plant. Never seen anything like this before. Is it an issue?

20210706_071952.jpg

tony1982
Building a Reputation

Re: Fungus (Mushroom?) growing in indoor plant soil!

20210706_072010.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for sharing @tony1982.

Let me tag @Noelle and @LisasGarden who may be able to offer advice. @EricL may also be able to help when he's back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @tony1982 

Growing media (potting mix) is made from a range of natural ingredients including peat, coir fibre, composted pine bark, etc, all of which break down over time due to the action of soil microbes and microflora, including various fungi.  When potting mix is warm and consistently moist, as it usually is for indoor plants, then occasionally the fungi on-board may develop mycelium (threads) and fruiting bodies (mushrooms or toadstools).

These fungi are not generally harmful to plants when only one or two mushrooms are visible but if the entire surface becomes involved, then some damage may occur to your plant because they are an indication that the mix is overly moist and maybe the plant is in a position where air circulation around it is minimal.

Move the plant to a spot where it receives better ambient (not direct sun) light and good air circulation and cut back on watering to allow the top 5ccm or so of mix to dry out before more water is added. Your mushroom crop should disappear relatively quickly!

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

slippery little suckers

Hi there, I have had rubber plants most of my adult life now. This could be a myth but it has always worked for me. Yates white oil. I clean all the leaves with it and cross fingers it keeps them fungus free, plus they look good to boot. I buy it in an undiluted then make it up myself following the instructions. Now even though I have been treating my rubber plants this way please do check with the professionals. I have also used a fungicide on my geraniums but they were unhappy about the consistency and needed the kiss of life. Good luck brenda 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects