Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gib (Universal) Anchor issue

ec1234
Finding My Feet

Gib (Universal) Anchor issue

I have just installed a shelf with a wardrobe rail using plastic toggle drywall anchors (see https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/cobra-universal-anchor-assortment-for-plasterboard-or-solid-walls-pac...). Had help as I am new to DIY. 

The anchors have slightly come away from the wall (5-10mm), but are holding strongly. There is no movement in the shelves while still holding weight (clothing, as in wardrobe storage).

What are the risks with this? Will this need to be removed and the anchors replaced to ensure they remain flush with the wall? If so, can the same drill holes be used for anchors with a larger diameter than those currently used, or will I need to start from scratch on this? 

image.jpg

Studs are tricky in this house. 

I note only the upper anchors have shifted, the bottom ones are holding flush with the wall. 

TIA! 
EC 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gib (Universal) Anchor issue

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ec1234. It's terrific to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Did you install those with a screwdriver? There is a possibility that you didn't tighten them down hard enough to expand the plastic portion behind the plasterboard. You should start by pushing the shelf and bracket back into position and flush against the wall. You might need to tap the screws/toggle down as well so they are also flush.

Once you have the bracket and toggles back into position I suggest re-tightening them with either a large screwdriver or a battery-powered drill/driver. The toggles with take a decent amount of effort to expand fully. You will need to exert more force than simply tightening them till snug as the plastic needs to be forced to expand.

Failing this working I would recommend swapping these toggles out for spring toggles which capture a much larger surface area and can't pull out like these plastic varieties. 

Here's a video which demonstrates how a spring toggle is installed and how it captures the plasterboard. They are installing this variety, which has a hook, in a ceiling but it is the same principle. You will be able to use the same holes and possibly will need to make them slightly bigger.

You might also like to read this discussion- Advice please for securing wire closet to wall where @Brad mention he uses a ramset-hollow-wall-anchor-setting-tool.  

I would address this issue as the shelf will fall at some stage as it sags under the weight.

Let me mention a couple of helpful members @Stuardo, @Kermit, @Poppop, and @JDE which might like to add to the discussion. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, 

Thanks so much for your response! That is most helpful 😊

Yes - the ones that have come away from the wall were just installed with a screw driver (we couldn’t get the drill in for the upper ones due to the support brace on the bracket). So sounds exactly like we didn’t screw them in hard enough. I was pretty sure it wasn’t a weight issue because I barely had any weight on the shelf when it pulled away. 

Any recommendations to help screw these in properly this time - is there any way we could get a drill to work on these upper ones (image attached)? Or just need something with a lot of strength and a screwdriver?! 

image.jpg

Really appreciate your help! 

EC 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@ec1234,

You'll find a Ryobi 450mm 1/4" Hex Drill Extension Bar will let you have the drill further back avoiding the bracket support arm. Alternatively, you could use a Kincrome 450mm Phillips No. 2 Extra Long Screwdriver which will give you a lot more torque than a shorter screwdriver.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Fabulous - that’s awesome! 

thanks again 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects