Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gnats everywhere! (No indoor plants)

Lou_L
Just Starting Out

Gnats everywhere! (No indoor plants)

I have moved into a rental and there are gnats/other bugs (I think - see photos) throughout the house. I don't have any indoor plants (yet) and they are driving me crazy. I don't especially like waking up to them on my face/in my ear!

The landlord isn't exactly forthcoming with fixing other areas so I'd prefer to try and handle this myself first if possible. 

It is a single story terrace house, and the rubbish bins are kept out the front (see photo). There is nowhere else to keep them and unfortunately this is near my bedroom window. The front door also has a large 1.5 inch gap at the bottom, but has a screen door that is a closer fit. I'll be trying to fit a fly screen across my bedroom room in the next few weeks. 

I have recently used Draino in the bathroom and kitchen sinks dur to smell and was hoping this may improve things - no change.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Bug2.JPGBug1.JPGHouse.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gnats everywhere! (No indoor plants)

Hello @Lou_L

Thank you for sharing your question about the insects and bugs in your house. 

I suggest having a look at the following products:

These products are all geared towards controlling and eliminating crawling insects. The PestXpert Pro-Fogger is a total-release aerosol to get on top of severe infestations, particularly targeting fleas and cockroaches. It delivers professional standard fumigation and even distribution around the room. Please make sure to use gloves, goggles and masks when handling these chemicals.

As for the sink and bathroom drain, I suggest spraying the inside surface of the drain with Selleys 750ml Rapid Mould Killer Remover. This will destroy the mould inside your drain pipe. I suggest spraying the drains at night just before you go to bed and using hot water to rinse the drains. It will be necessary to do several applications before your drains are fully clear of mould.

I also propose moving the bins away from your window to prevent insects from crawling in the house.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects