Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Guidance on writing detailed scope of works

Lauramatiu
Getting Established

Guidance on writing detailed scope of works

I am assisting an owner as their representative for a project build. Weve made it so far, yet due to difficulties with the builder, we are pausing, evaluating and creating a detailed scope of works for a 2bdrm flat refurb that can be distributed to a few companies for quoting. 

What is the best way to tackle writing this document and any thing I need to be mindful of? 

Thanks

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Guidance on writing detailed scope of works

How big is the project? If it's a large project, I would recommend you consider a professional quantity surveyor @Lauramatiu. After going through a couple of reno projects with builders, it was really valuable to have a very detailed breakdown of everything that is required for the project. That way there can be no disputes when problems (inevitably) occur. Good value for money in the long run... 

Bartdan
Just Starting Out

Hi Laura 

you can tackle this yourself 

a scope is a detailed description of each stage of the works you are wanting done 

if you list each item to be done then break it down into smaller sections with detail of each item that needs to be completed /achieved along the way the more you look at and break it down it will become clear what needs to happen and when you can’t have too much detail when you’ve completed it give a copy to all trades that are involved and ask they follow the brief and add that any changes will be discussed onsite prior to proceeding and detailed 

good luck 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great advice @Bartdan, many thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm sure @Lauramatiu really appreciates it.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with other members or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day, so we're sure you will fit right in.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the advice. 

I've used and seen them before but not written one. The third phase of the project is the fit out (the excavation, foundation's and watertight are all complete) for which I've been across selections etc so it should be easier than full scope. 

From trade perspective, I was wondering if there is a preferred layout etx that I should work too as my lingo etx won't be that of an LBP etx.

Hi @Lauramatiu,

There is no specific layout which I am aware of for a scope of works. However, there are some fundamental criteria which must be met within them including definitions, obligations, objectives, technical requirements and a timeline.

As you have mentioned, it is a good idea to steer clear of any lingo as the document should be written in plain English. It is essential to avoid ambiguity and uncertainty leaving nothing open to interpretation. It is also important to stipulate a course of action if a variation or alteration needs to be made to the scope of works.

If you have further questions or need assistance, please, let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects