Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hanging a blind

mingwait
Growing in Experience

Hanging a blind

Hi, I brought a roller blind that's 3kg. I think the screws provided are for concrete walls, but I have plaster walls. Just wondering how should I hang the brackets up to make sure it will support the pull weight of the rolling blind. Is wall plugs enough? My friend suggestd to put the brackets on a piece of wood that attach to the stud so the anchors won't pull out the plaster wall. Is that required? Would be helpful to share a link to the wall plugs and screws recommended, then I can just show it to staff at Bunnings. Thanks for helping

PXL_20210804_071414277.jpgPXL_20210804_071431502.jpgPXL_20210804_073802364.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Hanging a blind

Hi @mingwait,

Check out this step-by-step guide: How To Install Indoor Roller Blinds.

@TedBear, @JoeAzza and @Brad may be able to offer suggestions, and our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist when he's back on the site over the weekend.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @mingwait am I correct in assuming that your blind is too wide to attach within the window frame area? If so, it appears that you have 4 brackets supplied, so you could ensure that 2 of them screw into the timber studs (assuming that there is a corresponding one on the other side, above the frame) and use the plugs supplied to attach the other 2 brackets into the plaster. Make sure the holes you drill are just big enough for the plugs so it's a firm fit and they will expand inside the wall to stop them sliding back out. The small flange at their entrance is to stop the plugs sliding in.

mingwait
Growing in Experience

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your help.

Yes, the blind is too wide to fit within the window frame.

Can I confirm that the plugs supplied are suitable for plastic boards?

Unfortunately, there is only one stud above the window. Will attaching one bracket to the stud and three other ones into the plastic boards be enough to support the pulling up and down of the roller blind?

Cheers,

Ming

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @mingwait  (I am assuming that "plastic" is a typo and you are referring to plaster walls...)  those plugs should hold your blinds, but given that they are being pulled on, there is always a possibility that may eventually work loose. 

If you wish to play it safe, the original suggestion of your friend would be the best way for ultimate strength...

If mounting a timber backing board to put the blind onto, I would attach it using 4 toggle bolts such as https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-3-16-x-50mm-round-head-gravity-toggles-4-pack_p2265884 

Then mount the blind brackets to the timber strip. 

One option is to go ahead and mount the blind using that stud and the plugs as supplied, and if they look like working loose you can then go to the trouble of putting the timber strip up. It will cover the holes made by the plugs. Chances are the supplied plugs will be fine.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mingwait

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @StevieB and @TedBear. The plugs provided in your blind kit are for masonry or brick installation only. If you are planning to center the installation of the blind to your window I totally agree with TedBear's recommendation. Mounting a timber backing board as proposed will allow you to secure the blind safely. I suggest using the Porta 40 x 12mm 1.2m Pine DAR Clear Solid or similar to use as the backing board. You can paint it using the British Paints 250ml White Sample Pot tinted to the colour of your wall.

I recommend screwing the backing board onto the stud using Zenith 8G x 50mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 22 Pack. I suggest using TedBear's recommendation of using the Ramset 3 / 16" x 50mm Round Head Gravity Toggles - 4 Pack to secure the ends of the backing board. The last step will be to screw the angle brackets of the blind to the backing board and hang the blinds on. 

If you need further assistance with this project, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mingwait
Growing in Experience

Ted, thank you for the suggestions 😃

mingwait
Growing in Experience

@EricL Thank you for all the links, so I can click and collect from bunnings!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects