Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hanging pictures and curtains on masonite walls

Bec3
Finding My Feet

Hanging pictures and curtains on masonite walls

Hi there, 

We just bought a 1960's cottage with masonite internal walls. 

When hanging picture frames we realised that the masonite is ridiculously tough and would not let nails through. 

Do you have any advice for hanging curtains and pictures on this material? We will eventually renovate and replace the masonite with plaster, but in the mean time, the home desperate needs some curtains for privacy!

I'd love your advice. 

Thanks, 

Bec 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Hanging pictures and curtains on masonite walls

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bec3 and congratulations on the purchase of your cottage. We're looking forward to seeing it. 

I'm sure @EricL would be happy to share his thoughts on how to hang pictures and other items on Masonite walls. Let me also tag wonderful members @Brad@prettyliving@TedBear and @Tara86 to see if they might like to share how they would go about it. 

Looking forward to reading more about your plans for the cottage. Does it need much renovation work? Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with other members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Bec3 , firstly, I hope that you are referring to Masonite and not asbestos wall cladding (as was still used in that time period) Masonite isn't usually that tough but is springy where there is no stud behind it, so the bounce may make it hard to put nails through, except where it has support behind. If you put a nail indent in it, the material showing should be dark brown for Masonite. Assuming it is Masonite, you can drill appropriate size holes in it to use expanding wall plugs, or toggles, to support curtain hangers and picture hooks. They are used with screws. Nails won't be best because the thinness of the material won't offer them enough surface to grab on to. Discuss with you hardware supplier which type of expanding plug to use, since some only work in brick or concrete. 

If it's asbestos (light coloured material inside) a different approach will be needed, with a high focus on personal safety.

HI @TedBear

Thank you very much - that's really helpful! 

Definitely not asbestos internally. We've got it on the external walls but thankfully internal is all masonite. 

Cheers, 

Bec 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bec3

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @TedBear. I support TedBear's suggestion of using hollow wall anchors as nails will be very difficult, if not impossible to use.

I suggest using the Ramset Hollow Wall Anchor With Hook - 2 Pack. This set has the convenience of having picture hooks with it. There are other hollow wall anchors available if you need to hang a heavier framed picture. Please note that the drill bit size needed will be indicated at the back of the packaging.

If you need more information or assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects