Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help!! Constant beeping noise

Lassy
Getting Established

Help!! Constant beeping noise

Okay, so I live in a new build (roughly 2-3 years old). A couple of months ago, there was a beeping noise which would sound every few seconds for about an hour and then stop for a couple of days. Things have escalated - it is now beeping every few seconds for 24 hours non stop. During the day its soft enough that normal noises would cover it, but it becomes very noticeable when you are trying to fall asleep at night.

I think it must be in the roof area, because if I walk around trying to listen for the source it feels like it keeps moving to a different location. Today when I switched the power off, the beeping stop. I was hoping that if I switch it on and off it might reboot and stop, but alas, no such luck. If I switch the power for the plugs off specifically the noise stops.

Any idea what it might be?

Are there smoke alarms in the roof? (the smoke alarms in the house all have green lights, so they are not the problem). Based on my research, if it was the smoke alarm it would only sound every 15 minutes?

The only other things in the ceiling (which someone with zero building/electrical/plumbing experience would know) are the hot water solar panel and ducted heating. I would think that if something was wrong with the solar panel it would beep at the hot water tank (where the panel with the various lights are which indicate if there is a problem or not). Doesn't make sense for the ducted heating to beep either? 

And again, its EVERY FEW SECONDS... not minutes.

I realise that I should probably go into the roof to take a wander... but... spiders... Is it safe to go into the roof? Anything you are not allowed to touch/step on?

Help please! Starting to get desperate and no idea what to do!

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Help!! Constant beeping noise

Hi @Lassy,

Thanks for reaching out. That sounds like a very frustrating situation.

Let me tag our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc who will be more than happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday. 

In the meantime, there may be other community members who have been in a similar scenario and could offer advice.

Hope this gets sorted for you soon. 

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
martin1
Growing in Experience

You said the beep stops when you turn of your power supply. Unlikely to be smoke detectors as these are wired to light circuit. I expect it is something you have plugged in and turned on eg the dishwasher or washing machine beeping to tell you that the cycle is finished.

Sharmaine
Finding My Feet

Hi have u tried looking at ur internet...NBN? Ours did that because the special battery in it went dead so was not able to be used for backup. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lassy,

It's great to see you've already received some helpful suggestions from our members.

I like @Sharmaine's theory as an NBN battery that has less than half charge will beep four times every minute constantly. I feel you might only solve this mystery once someone enters the roof cavity. If it is an NBN battery backup, then there will be a silence alarm button on it which, when pressed for 15 seconds, should stop the sounding for 24hours or more. You'll need to replace the battery to solve the issue completely. If you are not confident entering the cavity yourself, then I would suggest this could be a job for a tradesperson or someone with experience.

Beeping can sometimes be really hard to pinpoint. Have a quick check of your fridge as sometimes, if they become iced over, they'll notify with a beep when activating their defrost cycle. If the fridge is faulty, it could be stuck in a defrost loop.

Please keep us updated as I'll be waiting with bated breath to hear the source of the beeps.

Mitchell

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sharmaine. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find plenty of inspiration within the community as our creative members contribute their projects here all the time.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects