Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help me repurpose my TV unit to build a shelving unit

nirmal1988
Cultivating a Following

Help me repurpose my TV unit to build a shelving unit

I purchased a TV Unit set online.

Unfortunately, when it arrived the top piece (where the TV sits) was broken and I was provided a replacement of the whole unit and they never bothered to get the old one.

So, I have couple of 180x45 panels, which I want to reuse to build a standing shelf. From the website, the material of the panel is said to be manufactured timber.

My plan is to have these as the sides of my shelf (vertical), So what I need now is - a base, a top, a middle section (all of them horizontal) and a backing to cover the whole selfing unit.

I have never done any sort of carpentry DIY before, naturally, I have a few queries:

1. I am not sure what sort of panels should I buy to make my horizontal sections.

2. I roamed around my local Bunnings, I could see laminated pines, MDFs, particle boards
- None of them are in the dimensions I need. I am looking for 100X45.
Can the MDFs and particle boards be cut into dimensions I need?, or should I only go with pines ?

3. Will Bunnings cut my panels into dimensions I need ?, Cut shop in my local Bunnings was closed when I visited.

4.If I have to cut them myself, what sort of tool do I need ?

5. What sort of screws do I use to attach these sections together ?

Thanks in advance, I shall try to post a picture of the panel that I have with me.

Re: Help me repurpose my TV Unit to build a Shelving Unit

That's wonderful @nirmal1988. I'm so pleased to see you've finished your project. I'm really impressed with your excellent results, especially considering this is your first build using carpentry. You should feel extremely proud of your efforts.

Many thanks for sharing your update with the community. I look forward to you returning and hearing about your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects