Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Home security video on a budget

Nham
Established Contributor

Home security video on a budget

Hi everyone, 

For some time now, we have wanted to install some home video surveillance around our home. I wanted to share my experience with the community after doing some research. There is a ton of information online regarding security cameras and what they can offer. There are professional systems with back to base monitoring, DIY wireless and wired models which anyone can install. 

For myself, the main criteria were:

1. Ease of DIY installation and maintenance
  2. Latest camera technology
  3. It had to be budget-friendly, under $250 to cover most the whole house

We decided to go with WYZE as they had everything I wanted. To cover most of our home, I got a total of three cameras, two wired WYZE Cam 3 (latest model) and the Wireless Outdoor Camera with the base station. 

My other reason is that you don't need to take up a plan to use the cameras as recordings are uploaded onto a cloud server and kept for 14 days. I did take up a 12-month plan, but it was very affordable compared to the other systems. The app is fantastic and everyone in the family can access the cameras. There are always pros and cons, and having used the system for several months, we are thrilled with the results. It is very easy to install these cameras and it will take you about 1-2 hours. 

Wired Installation

• Mark out the position of your camera holder
  • Drill holes and use a green wall plug
  • Fix in the holder with screws
  • Run the USB power cord to a power outlet; we had an outdoor power switch, which made it very easy
  • Sync the camera to the app and attach the camera to the holder

Wireless installation

These units don't need a wired power source, and the rechargeable battery will last for about two months on a single charge. They are great units when you don't have an external power supply. All you need is to fix the holder to a wall using the same steps describe or even to branch on a tree. 

WYZE Cam3 with outdoor mount kitWYZE Cam3 with outdoor mount kitMark out the positionMark out the positionDrill holes using a masonry drill bitDrill holes using a masonry drill bitPush in the green plugs and trimPush in the green plugs and trimMount camera and attach to power outletMount camera and attach to power outletOutdoor wireless CamOutdoor wireless CamJust mount, no wired power requiredJust mount, no wired power requiredDaylight imageDaylight imageNight Vision onNight Vision onNight Vision offNight Vision off

StevieB
Projects Editor
Projects Editor

Re: Home security video on a budget

Thanks for starting a discussion about this important topic and sharing your home security findings @Nham.

You've made the installation look easy and I'm sure this will be a helpful confidence boost to those wanting to tackle this kind of project themselves.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
blondd87

Thanks for this info! Can I ask where you got this WYZE camera kit from please? Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @blondd87,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. Let me tag @Nham so they are alerted to your question.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We look forward to reading about your own projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nham
Established Contributor

Hi @blondd87,

I bought the WYZE camera from the US amazon site. Here is the link for the wireless camera. For the WYZE Cam 3, Amazon has it for about $36 US, if you decide to buy it from Amazon, make sure it states "sold by Amazon" and not a third party retailer. They don't seem to have any available stock at the moment and sell out very quickly.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects