Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I change the door colour ?

mmd22
Building a Reputation

How can I change the door colour ?

Hi everyone 

Recently we have  changed our Floor colour so we need to change our main 2 door colour . We decided some thing  neutral colour.

But our present door is like Varnish colour .

Could I please have some advice how to do that easily ?    

Thank you in advance 

Present door colourPresent door colourwould like to do similar colourwould like to do similar colour

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How Can I change the Main door colour ?

Hi @mmd22,

It's great to see that @Jewelleryrescue and @Nham have been assisting with your questions. You must remove the glossy appearance of the varnish coat on your door, allowing your primer to adhere correctly. Go over the door with 180/240-grit sandpaper until you have dulled the gloss. You don't need to remove the varnish completely.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mmd22
Building a Reputation

@Nham , @Jewelleryrescue  and @MitchellMc Thank you so much for your helpful advice . 

I used orbital sander with 120 grit then by hand 180 grit .

It took very good few hours to remove all the shiny varnish.

I Primed with  2 coats Dulux Precision maximum strength adhesion primer   .

How long do I need  to wait before my top coats . Primer tin say 1 hour .

What grit sand paper should I  between my top coats ?

I am in little bit trouble for top coat .As I mentioned Previous owner left some paint that was used for all the doors but does not have any custom level on the tin .

So I took the tin to 2 Bunnings shop but   they can not match 100% .It is very frustration. The left over paint I have it does not seems enough for 2 top coats . I had buy 2  sample container to see if the colour match . 

From Paint shop I was told , I could use my sample container ( mixed together , they are low shin) as my first top coat and use my existing pain as my final top coat which is semi gloss .

Is this good idea ? or do I have any more options ?

Thank you 

Here is some update After sandinfAfter sandinfafter Primingafter Priming

Hi @mmd22 

Absolultly good advice from the paint shop as you described to  save paint and money and still end up  with the final color you want,

If you are really carefull  care full and you final paint is quite thick and moves slowly like honey you may add 5% of  water to help it be more thinner giving you more paint volume,  Add water in small amounts so you do not make to  paint to runny that would not be  good.

You can always buy another 500ml same color top coat  if you run short  , This is you main door so extra coats is better for longer wear with out having  too much extra  paint the door wont close . 

Nice sanding and  painting of door to date. :smile:

@Jewelleryrescue  I am not trying to save money , I am trying to save my work 😀 . IF i could have same colour I have then I can only do 2 doors but If i can not have same colour then I need to do door frame , skating as well.

I will give it a goo 

Thank you 

Hi @mmd22 

Saving moneys my middle name with out trying to be to fugal on my own projects and some of that comes out  in my posts  some time so  sorry about that as its all about me and my  projects I  prefer your to have a little too much than a little short.. 

I think you are right though I might not mention saving  $  maybe it implies some one  else is  so thank you  for  letting me know you are  a very  kind person.

I  just want you to have a good day and a good  project that would make me happiest and so far you are doing a top notch job. cant wait till you final  photos

Hello @Jewelleryrescue 

I really can not Thank you enough for your details advice on this project . I do not have much experience but with this community's  help I have started doing some small project .I took your full advice and tried to do all in one day .but I need little bit more time as I am doing 2 doors .

You know what I saved lots of money today with your advice . Thank you for so much for that .

Doors looking pretty good so far , just need to final coat . Hopefully I will finish tomorrow and they I will upload final photos .

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looking good @mmd22! Keep us updated as I can't wait to see your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mmd22
Building a Reputation

Re: How can I change the door colour ?

Hello Everyone 

sorry for late upload.

Please find my final colour of the main door 

Thank you so much for everyone for your support 

IMG_4722.jpgIMG_4725.jpgIMG_4724.jpg

Top  job @mmd22 

it looks brand  spanking new :smile:

I like the long door handle to as I have longish curved one too.  

And out the door really nice stone fascia  matching the whites of your entery  :smile:

You can answer the  next how to paint a door question your a pro now. 

Wow!  Great painting job - your doors look fantastic, especially the front door with the long handle - so stylish.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects