Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I protect a mural backdrop that will have a child literally climbing all over it

thoughtpod
Finding My Feet

How can I protect a mural backdrop that will have a child literally climbing all over it

I'm building a climbing wall for my daughter, and wanted to paint a backdrop mural so that it feels like she's climbing a happy mountain (think rainbows and smiling trees). The mural will be on a primed piece of marine-grade 12mm plywood screwed into three wall studs.

I'd like the mural to stay fresh and unblemished, even though it will have a five year old clambering all over it barefooted.

Any thoughts about what pants, varnish (or some other solution) could protect it for a few years? Help greatly appreciated!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I protect a mural backdrop that will have a child literally climbing all over it

Welcome to the Workshop community @thoughtpod. Great question, I'd be happy to assist.

A good quality wash and wear paint will go a long way to preventing little feet from leaving lasting marks on the mural. These Dulux products are a top coat, but to provide even more protection you can use Dulux Design Clear Top Coat over the wash and wear. After speaking with Dulux they have advised the clear coat is suitable for protecting the wash and wear paint.

It sounds like a fantastic project and I would encourage you to share it with the community. I'm sure we would all like to see the results!

If you need further assistance or have questions about these products, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How can I protect a mural backdrop that will have a child literally climbing all over it

Thanks Mitchell, very helpful. I'll give it a go and share what I end up with.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects