Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i cut into EPS

AprilGrim
Growing in Experience

How can i cut into EPS

Hi all,

I need some help in relation to Expanded Polystyrene Cement (EPS)

I was planning to move a few power points/sockets in our house, but have discovered all the internal walls are filled with it. 

I am on a tight budget and so was wondering if it is possible to use a hammer and chisel to clear a path, so to speak, from the current socket to about 30 below it, where I need it to be located to. 

I don’t plan on having anything to do with the electrical wiring, just trying to reduce labour/hourly rate cost. The electrician that came to have a look for a quote said he would have to hire an edger or router (can’t remember which one) to cut the wall. 

I’d turn the power off when I chisel into the wal to be safe, however I have no experience with EPS. It’s frustrating as I was also wanted to have my washing machine taps moved, but same problem. I don’t want to dig half the wall out and comprise wall integrity either. 

Any information or advice would be enormously helpful because i feel really unsure about what my next move should be. 

attached image of EPC for reference 

DD8FDC01-8A43-4512-80A9-3FFD94CAD0E1.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i cut into EPS

Hi @AprilGrim,

I would always advise caution when working anywhere near electrical work and encourage you to use the services of a qualified electrician. I would also believe moving the powerpoint in an EPS wall would be a relatively simple task for an electrician and not take more than 15 minutes to cut the material away. I'd suggest they want to use a router to achieve a great finish and ensure a neat cut. Perhaps you could get another quote to see if there are other options available.

An Ozito 300W Multi Function Tool should make quick work of cutting a channel in an EPS wall. For a more budget-friendly option, you could start by drilling a couple of pilot holes to fit the blade of a plaster saw as it should also cut the material. Once you have made a cut around the perimeter, you could then hammer and chisel out the area.

Please let me know if you have questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AprilGrim
Growing in Experience

Re: How can i cut into EPS

Thank you as always @MitchellMc 
I plan to turn the mains off before undertaking any cutting into walls. 

Just looking at my plans now and trying to work out how far down exactly the power point needs to go :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects