Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I erect a simple, cheap but sound fence on the edge of this verandha?

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

How do I erect a simple, cheap but sound fence on the edge of this verandha?

I have a north facing verandah which, because my house is on a sloping block, has a drop from one end to the other.  There is nothing to prevent people or animals from falling.  It is a pleasant place to sit out in the evening, after sunset in summer and around about sunset in winter.  I like to sit out there with my dog.  However my dog is large and can easily jump down and there is then nothing to stop him from running across the road.  So, I need to build a fence, preferably one he can see through but not get through and as low as I'm permitted by Council Regulations that apply to South Toowoomba, where I live.  [I think that means around 1200cm high but need to check again]

I'd prefer to work with wood for I have no experience or equipment for working with metal, unless it is just a case of drilling holed and attaching with nuts and bolts or some such

I have some old tongue and groove bonds in lenghts of about 3 to 4 metres which may be usable if I had horizontal fencing.  Alternatively, I have some slats of various smaller sizes that could make upright railings but, I think, wouldn't look so good.

I'm particularly interested to know whether I ought to fasten posts to the wall at the front of the verandah and then attach railings to those or whether I should attach posts to the verandah surface and used some sort of steel brackets  to hold them to the surface.  I'm not sure which would be more secure or the relative costs of each method.  There are probably other ways to proceed, too.

I would want the fence to extend from the top of the steps, which are approximately 90cm above the verandah floor all the way across to at least the centre pillar of the large sliding window.  Ideally the fence would go all the way but in that case I would need a way to deal with access to the steps and also access to the opening half of the sliding window (i.e. the left half looking from the front towards the house).  The reason for that is that the only way to get large items of furniture or such is through that sliding window.

Oh, I almost forgot - I will also need to block off access to the roof at the top of the steps.  There used to be a sort of outside balcony area there - hence the steps - but it was unsafe and easier and cheaper just to remove and re-roof the garage than try to re-construct it safely.  I did think that perhaps I could add planter boxes or some such to the steps so that they disguised their original use and perhaps added some interest to that end of the verandah.

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1478.JPGIMG_1481.JPGIMG_1480.JPGIMG_1479.JPG

I apologise for the  lengthy explanation but want to make my needs as clear as possible.  I am a 75 year old pensioner on a fixed and low income so have to keep costs down.  I also do all work myself when I am able for I can't afford trades prices.  I do have a reasonable selection of hand tools, a power drill, and such.  I also already have a variety of dyna-bolts that could be of use.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I erect a simple, cheap but sound fence on the edge of this verandha?

Hi @nonsibicunctis,

I'd suggest that Protector Aluminium 50 x 50 x 1300mm Black Flanged Fence Posts Dynabolted into the top of the veranda surface would be a good starting point. Those posts are designed to have Protector Aluminium 2400 x 1200mm Black Flat Top Boundary And Garden Fence Panels fixed in between them, but you could use your tongue and groove boards instead if they are for exterior purposes. We also have a variety of decorative panels that you could utilise. Please keep in mind that if this installation is to comply with code, then you'll be limited as to what horizontal boards you can use, as these create footholds that are not typically allowed on elevated heights. Your fence can't be climbable.

Mounting to the wall face or the top of the veranda surface are both acceptable methods of fence installation, but I'd agree that mounting to the top would give a cleaner finish. I believe utilising the Protector posts, and garden fence panels would be a good option to create a functional and compliant fence. You can then improve the look by attaching decorative screening to the front of it. For the end where the veranda meets the garage roof, I'd recommend a couple of these Matrix 1800 x 900mm Planter Box Kit For Decor Screen Panels to block off the area and grow some plants.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do I erect a simple, cheap but sound fence on the edge of this verandha?

Hi Mitchell,

Apologies for not responding sooner - haven't been well.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. I hadn't realised that I couldn't use horizontal fencing because of the drop so that is good to know, though I had intended to check Council requirements again.  Last time I was focusing on any height minimums or maximums.

I will certainly come in as soon as I can to see the fence posts and panels you suggest.  They sound as though they would suit the job, particularly if they just need bolting.

Not so sure about the planter box kit but I will look at that, too.  Of course, given my situation, price may be an issue as well.

I got a message today to say that there was another response, yet there isn't.  It was just a repeat of my question and your answer. - Useful anyway because it reminded me to catch up with you.  I just wonder if it was an error or just an automated repeat or something because I hadn't got back to you?

Thanks again.  Your answer was prompt and helpful and I appreciate it.

roger

No worries at all, @nonsibicunctis!  

Thanks for letting us know about the double message.

Please reach out again if you get stuck or have questions.

Mitchell

Hi @nonsibicunctis,

When you create a new discussion thread on the site you get a reminder after a week that you have received replies to your post. It's simply a reminder as sometimes people forget to come back and see their replies. You can control what emails you receive from us and how often you receive them. Simply change your notification settings in the My Settings area

All the best,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects