Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I make a computer desk?

Karizzma
Just Starting Out

How do I make a computer desk?

Hi Team,

I'm looking to create my own computer desk as I need something that is slightly different than the standard office desk as my home office is quite narrow.

Right now I'm looking at using https://www.bunnings.co.nz/2200-x-600-x-26mm-acacia-solid-oiled-hardwood-project-panel_p8330032 for the top.

Is this strong enough to hold a PC with multiple monitors and also being I don't have many tools would I be ok to cut this panel with just a handsaw to size?

Also are there any suggestions on what legs I could use as most I have seen don't seem to fit the width.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I make a computer desk?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Karizzma and thanks for your question.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to help with your questions when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @oheyitsbeano, @Nham and @cmstar, who have all recently shared desk builds, to see if they can offer any thoughts.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nham
Becoming a Leader

Thanks the message @StevieB  and welcome @Karizzma.

500mm depth, just deep enough for a monitor & keyboard500mm depth, just deep enough for a monitor & keyboard

I have used several of the interbuilds wooden panels, and they are very sturdy. Personally, I like the spotted gum top. If you place the wooden panel onto a frame, it should hold your PC and several monitors. I made a desk 12 months ago for my WFH office using an interbuild top, and it is still going strong. My last desk for my son was 500mm deep, and it will fit a narrow space. I would not go any smaller as you need to have the monitor and keyboard on the desk. If you want more desk space, you can use a monitor arm to mount the screen (see pictures).

I would measure out what size you need, ask the Bunnings staff to pre-cut the frame (Pine) and the tabletop if they can. Using a handsaw will take you a long time, but it might be okay. I would find it hard to keep a straight cut. The other alternative is that you can get pre-made steel legs and attach these to the table top. With this setup, the panel is not sitting on a frame but is easier to put together.

Use a monitor arm to get more desk spaceUse a monitor arm to get more desk space

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Karizzma

It's fantastic that you've received great advice from @Nham about building your own office desk.

I have exactly the same project panel that you've mentioned at home. Rest assured it is strong enough to hold multiple monitors including the computer itself. It can be cut to size even with an ordinary handsaw, you can paint it to whatever finish you desire. I suggest building your own frame and legs to custom fit your office area. 

Here is one of our Featured Projects: Student desk with a Spotted Gum top by @Nham

This should give you handy ideas on how to build your own office desk.

If you need more information please let us know.

Eric

oheyitsbeano
Having an Impact

That desktop is more than sufficient to hold up a PC with multiple monitors. I have a water-cooled PC with lots of hard drives, heavy copper radiators and waterblocks inside it and that thing weighs a solid 20-30kgs. As for cutting the panels down, you could hand-saw it, but i'd suggest to use either a circular saw with a "shelf" which is a clamp-on straight-edge to help you get a nice, square cut. Otherwise, if you've got the budget for it, invest in a nice track saw (also known as a Plunge Saw)

One thing I can suggest, especially seeing as you're looking to install multiple monitors on your desk, is to look into a pair of decent quality monitor arms. I use a Colebrook Bosson Saunders Flo arm on my desk, and that basically allows me to move the monitor to wherever I want it to. They come with a default clamp mount but there is also a thru-desk mount that goes through your desk using a 75mm hole. So long as your monitor can handle a standard 100x100mm VESA mount (which most monitors do) then you should be fine with this. 

My other suggestion is, if you've got the budget and scope for it, use a sit-to-stand base. They come in sizes up to 1800mm in width and make for an excellent option if you're WFH or if you just want a more ergonomic setup. For reference, your desk when sitting should sit at around 720-780mm off the ground, and when standing it should be set to a level where your forearms are level with your keyboard for best practice when it comes to ergnomics. 

Otherwise, Bunnings offers a range of steel desk legs that would suit this purpose if you do not wish to build a sit-to-stand desk. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=desk%20leg&sort=BoostOrder&page=1

I personally like the square RapidMesh ones seeing as they provide lots of room for cables to pass through if need be. If your desk top extends past the 1.8M mark, i'd also suggest adding a fifth leg at the back of the desk for added stability. 

As for cable management, Most power boards come with screw fixing slots on the underside which you can screw into your desk to provide cable management, and Bunnings sells a whole bunch of these. However if you ask me? The Grand-daddy of all cable management is Softwiring. There's a store called The Softwiring Shop which supplies the CMS Electracom Athena rail system, which is a high-amperage, thermally and surge-protected softwiring (Aka, a modular powerboard) system that works with sit-to-stand and regular desks, and also offers a cable basket solution with built in GPOs for cable management. These come in real handy if you use an above-desk laptop and don't dock the thing into a USB-C dock. I install these all the time into commercial-scale offices and they work an absolute treat for the users there as they keep the area under your desk really, really tidy. There's an adapter that takes a regular GPO and turns it into an Athena socket available which has built in surge and thermal protection. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @oheyitsbeano

Thank you very much for sharing such a very detailed recommendation. Let me tag @Karizzma to make sure they see your excellent suggestions. I totally agree with your recommendation on table height. It is imperative you get this right, otherwise, your arms and shoulders get very strained if they are at the incorrect level. 

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects