Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint yellowing ducted aircon vents?

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

How do I paint yellowing ducted aircon vents?

My ducted Aircon vents have turned yellow and I'm considering repainting them. Could someone give me ideas on how to and what paint to use please. If there is an option to clean them and bring them back to white would be even better.

Many thanks

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: How do I paint yellowing ducted Aircon vents

Hello @eriswa I gather the yellowing vents are somewhat unsightly, have you considered soaking them in bleach?   I recall back in the days of cloth nappies bleach, wash and then drying in direct sunlight would restore their brightness.  

Further reference 
https://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-whiten-yellowed-plastic/

RenoRach1
Making a Splash

Hi @eriswa ,

I can definitely recommend using Rust-Oleum spray paint for this job. I've used this product on a number of air conditioners and it works a treat!

Just make sure that you either remove the vent and spray outside or, if you have to paint it in situ, use painter's tape and plastic drop sheets to protect your wall/ceiling from overspray.

You'll be amazed at how well this paint works - your air-con will look like new!  If you're not used to spray painting, watch some Bunnings videos on how to hone your technique and have a bit of a practice before you actually attempt to spray paint. Less is definitely more; multiple light coats.

All the best!

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi DIYGnome thanks for the information. I'll certainly give this a serious consideration.

Cheers 

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

HI RenoRach1, I used this paint for my rusty freezer and it turned out pretty good. I still have some left so might look into it a bit more. Many thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eriswa,

It's great to see you received helpful suggestions from our knowledgeable members. I thought I'd add a link to this conversation: How to clean an old dirty air conditioner by @elly1. In that discussion, I recommend "turning off the unit and then cleaning it down with some Sugar soap. You can then prep the surfaces with ESP. After the ESP has dried, I'd suggest coating the unit with White Knight Squirts." However, @RenoRach1 appears to have had some great success on multiple units with Rust-Oleum spray paints, so I'd be inclined to give their method a go.

Please let us know if you have further questions or run into difficulties.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell, much appreciated.

Cheers

@eriswa Great that you've already got a can. I've also used it to brighten some security grills and it was fantastic. Hope it all goes well for you! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects